Author Topic: Davey/ Davy/ De Burgh  (Read 1617 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davey/ Davy/ De Burgh
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 February 21 12:36 GMT (UK) »
It might be best if you share your source so that people could look further.
Just googling, doesn’t seem to give an indication of it.

If you want to find your family in parish records, the marriage record with a father’s name might help.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 February 21 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I agree M/C needed :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 February 21 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My ancestor John Davy was born sometime between 1795 and 1810.The 1871 census for Whitehaven, Cumberland records him as being born in Drumrood.

I have searched an Irish database for this place and the only one I can find is Drumrud in Co Mayo.
Drumrud is a townland that falls within Touaghty Parish.I believe John Davy probably emigrated to England in the 1820s or 1830s but could be wrong.

As far as the De Burgh question goes.I have read that this family took on various names in Ireland creating various branches.One of these branches was named Davy and I wondered if anyone knew of further information on this branch.

I hope this clears everything up and apologies for not being clear earlier.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 February 21 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the census (Ancestry for link for anyone interested with a subscription) - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7619/images/CULRG10_5257_5260-0314?usePUB=true&_phsrc=xDy1346&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=28821458

Do you know his wife Bridget's maiden name and where she is from - Kilmaine?

The Davy/Davey is reasonably common in South Down - i know of quite a few families

There is a place (village & Parish) called Drumaroad near Ballynahinch Co. Down, and another townland one Drumsnad - Not convinced it says Drumrood on the census?

There also used to coal boat left from Dundrum (Not far from Drumaroad) to go to Whitehaven (i have family who i have found in Whitehaven, who travelled this way)
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 February 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »
That sounds quite plausible.
There is the marriage in 1846 for John Davey and Bridget McCartney to check which might be helpful.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 February 21 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Mention in this article re Norman names - maybe this is similar to what you have read

http://www.youghalcelebrateshistory.com/posts/youghal-roots/norman-ancestors-norman-surnames/

“Just a single family, the de Burgos of Connacht, spun off dozens of modern names: Davey, Davitt, Doak, Galwey, Gibbons, McNicholas (Mc)Philbin, Gillick, Jennings, McRedmond … all stemming from the forenames of prominent de Burgos, all following precisely the Gaelic Irish tradition.”

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

There is quite a lot to think about in the above.I’ll try and comment on each, so here goes:

The article on the De Burgh/Davy family is the exact one I’d seen previously.I was hoping someone might have more on this or know somewhere to start looking.

Bridget McCartney appears to have married John Davy in 1846.I will have to wait until the lockdown ends before I can try and get a record for this marriage.
I believe Bridget may have been a second wife.On the 1851 census I think I have found the family under the Davie name.The two eldest sons Patrick and Henry are too old to be born to Bridget and they were born before 1846.
This morning I have searched the Whitehaven deaths for a potential 1st wife.All I have found is 3 Catherine’s and one Mary Ann.It could be any of these?Forgot to add Bridget is from Kilmain but which one? I’ve found two!
As far as the Drumrood/Drumaroad goes, it’s a tricky one. I’ve enlarged the census image from 1871.I’m confident it says Drumrood.However allowing for dodgy spelling and potentially difficult to understand accents, it could be Drumrud in Co Mayo or Drumaroad Co Down.
My ideas from here are perhaps wait until the records office is open again and try to get a copy of the marriage certificate for Bridget and try to figure out the most likely deaths for a first wife and get a death certificate.
From there try to figure out which county this family are from. And hope parish records exist to confirm this.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 07:42 GMT (UK) »
See reply #4 for the likely family in 1841.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp shows ages on death so might help in the search for his first wife’s death.

You can order a marriage certificate online
https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

With regard to the De Burghs, are you trying to find a link within your own ancestors. The article explains how surnames developed. There are online references to the Davey/y surname from the personal name David in both English and Welsh cultures, as indeed the article you have which implies it might come from a De Burgh named David, if I recall.