Author Topic: Davey/ Davy/ De Burgh  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davey/ Davy/ De Burgh
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 February 21 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Sorry for the slight delay in replying.Work has been busy!
Thanks for the links.I have ordered the marriage certificate and will take it from there! I’ll leave the death certificates a little longer and try to figure out the more likely ones first.My guess will probably be the Catherine Davy deaths of 1840 or 1844.I think the 1846 one is unlikely as John Davy and Bridget McCartney married that year.Which brings me to the 1841 census you mentioned in an earlier post.

In the 1841 census for Cleator Moor, it seems quite probable that this is the same family.3 names match with later census’s and the mother listed as Catherine would also match 3 out of 4 possibles in the deaths.

As far as the De Burgh name goes.I just thought it may be worth trying to follow this Davy link up.No evidence so far to suggest a link to my Davy’s though.

I am hoping to be able to make the family tree jump into Ireland and have found out that the surname has only less than 300 recorded entries in the 1901 census for the entire country. If this is the case, I may have some hope!

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to try and help me:)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 February 21 02:58 GMT (UK) »

This is possibly the family in 1841 - the names are listed amongst the others.
‘Henery’ is actually at the end of the list after Patrick and William.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M73K-9Y8

‘I’ and ‘S’ are often written in a similar way. As you can see Henry is shown as born Scotland.
There is though a Henry Davy/ey in later censuses born Scotland  :-\

The 'Scotlandspeople' website RC parish records index shows a son 'Henricum Davy' born on 11 February 1837 to parents 'Joanne Davy' and 'Catharina Conyngham' (maybe Cunningham?) and baptised on 12 March 1837 in the parish of Newton Stewart, Our Lady and St. Ninian. Henry was one of twins, a son 'Danielem' is also shown (ie. same parents, DOB, baptism date).

Edited to add: Given that Newton Stewart is slightly off the beaten track, I couldn't help but notice two daughters baptised in 1826 and 1828 in the same church for a couple called 'Patricio Davy' and 'Maria MacVaigh', it might be pure co-incidence, but just to note for now that a transcript I've seen of a marriage record for Loughinisland RC Church in County Down shows a couple called Patrick Davy and Mary McVea marrying on 18 March 1812, witnessed by a Patrick Fitzsimons and a Mrs Thomas Cunningham. Mary McVea's address is recorded as 'Ardtanagh', Patrick Davy's as 'Dromaroad'.  The townland link for Drumaroad has already been posted at reply #14, here is Ardtanagh (it's very nearby):

https://www.townlands.ie/down/kinelarty/loughinisland/ardtanagh/     

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 February 21 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Looking good again gaffy  :)

The  Scottish connection is mentioned in reply #4 so the Henry in later censuses might be the same family.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 February 21 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think you guys are back onto something here!! Thanks.
Assuming these are the correct John Davy and Catherine their oldest sons would appear to have been born in Ireland(1841 census)
It does seem a strange coincidence that the Patrick Davy is from Drumaroad already mentioned.
If the 1841 census age is near correct, John and Catherine were born about 1806 and their oldest son abt 1832.Do you think they are likely to have married in the 1825-1831 range?The question now is where???
Any suggestions on where to start looking ?
There is nothing on Scotland’s people so they didn’t marry there.I can’t see a marriage in England either.Must be Ireland or most likely?
Any ideas most appreciated and thanks again !!!!’

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 February 21 20:45 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

In case this helps, in 1861 John, Bridget and Henry show their birthplace as Co.down Ireland.

Indexed as DARY.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 February 21 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy,

Thank you!! This is brilliant.I’ve never been able to find this family in 1861.I have 5 names and ages matching. This also confirms that the family come from Drumaroad, Co Down and not Drumrud Co Mayo.
This now gives me an area to focus on. Thanks again.I really appreciate this!!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 February 21 23:40 GMT (UK) »

Given that Newton Stewart is slightly off the beaten track

First gaffy, I have to say that I'm impressed.
True, regarding your comment about Newton Stewart. I live in SW Scotland and have passed through it occasionally. However, it's convenient for Stranraer. The family may have travelled from Newton Stewart to Whitehaven by sea via Stranraer.
An Irish-born miner with my surname was in Ayrshire (north of Newton Stewart) on 1841 census. He'd moved to Durham by 1851.
There's a website Cumbrian Irish I think it's called.   
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 27 February 21 00:44 GMT (UK) »

Assuming these are the correct John Davy and Catherine their oldest sons would appear to have been born in Ireland(1841 census)
It does seem a strange coincidence that the Patrick Davy is from Drumaroad already mentioned.
If the 1841 census age is near correct, John and Catherine were born about 1806 and their oldest son abt 1832.Do you think they are likely to have married in the 1825-1831 range?The question now is where???
Any suggestions on where to start looking ?
There is nothing on Scotland’s people so they didn’t marry there.I can’t see a marriage in England either.Must be Ireland or most likely?
Any ideas most appreciated and thanks again !!!!’

Ages of adults (everyone 15 and over) on 1841 census were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5. A person whose age was 35-39 should have been recorded as 35. Some census enumerators followed that instruction when transferring information on each household schedule into their books, some didn't. Assume ages of adults on 1841 census to be an estimate. Family Search has estimated John's birth 1802-1806. I usually add a few more years on either side for people born around then. Some people didn't know their true ages.

If Patrick Davy was a relative or neighbour and had found work in/near Newton Stewart, it's logical that John would go there too. Irishmen and sometimes women went over to Scotland and England as seasonal agricultural labourers. They returned home after harvest. Wages were used to pay rent and debts at home. Steamers had made the voyage quicker and passage was cheap. Some found permanent work.

Irish people tended to marry fairly young in first half of 19th century. Groom in his early 20's. Bride might still be in her teens.
I don't know that you can say they didn't marry in Scotland just because there's no record. Absence of a record of an event doesn't mean that the event didn't happen. They may have been married by a priest or had a handfasting. Marriage law in Scotland was different to Ireland and both countries differed from England.
A wedding between 2 Catholics conducted by a Catholic priest in Ireland was legal in first half of 19th century. There was no civil ceremony or civil record. Some priests didn't keep registers in the early decades or if they did, many didn't survive. A wedding between a Catholic and a Protestant conducted by a Catholic priest in Ireland wasn't legal; a priest was arrested and charged for the offence around 1830.
All weddings in England before 1837 had to be in an Anglican church except for Jews and Quakers. Some Catholic couples also had a religious ceremony before a priest. A Catholic couple recently arrived from Ireland may not have known the law was different and that a Catholic wedding ceremony in England had no legal standing. 

Did Catherine have any children born in England after 1837? If she did, her maiden surname should be on GRO Births Index.
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 February 21 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Maiden Stone asks:

Did Catherine have any children born in England after 1837? If she did, her maiden surname should be on GRO Births Index.

Here is a GRO birth
1839 Whitehaven
John Davy mmn Cunningham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk