Author Topic: Convict: Edmund Stone  (Read 397 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Convict: Edmund Stone
« on: Sunday 14 February 21 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information about a convict called Edmund STONE.

Convicted in Old Bailey in 1793 where his name was recorded as Edward Stone - age 17, Larceny
Convict Registers have Edmund Stone, 17, Larceny, 7 years, of Shrewsbury (Staffordshire)
 - Def. same man as his accomplice was same in both records (Ann Sommerville - Not Guilty)

As he was only 17 years old in 1793 I suspect he didn't have a trade or a professional occupation.
(Possible bp: Shrewsbury 19.06.1774, son of Edmund Stone, Serjeant, but haven't confirmed this one)

I haven't seen any records in Australian archives so I suspect he may have died prior to transportation but maybe I've missed something. Did he make it to Oz? NSW or Tas?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Convict: Edmund Stone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 21 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought........
France declared war against England in February 1793 because of his age and crime it is more than likely he was "sent to sea" to be used as cannon fodder as many other convicted of that age range were
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 21 21:23 GMT (UK) »
One record gives his occupation as Hair Dresser and removed onboard the Lion Hulk 6 March 1793
https://www.londonlives.org/browse.jsp?id=NAHOCR70006_n1604-1&div=NAHOCR70006CR700060109#highlight

Another on Ancestry has it as Lyon Hulk, Portsmouth

Cannot see him in convict records, and too early for Tasmania. There were convicts sent to other places eg Bermuda, but not sure of dates

If he was sent to Portsmouth, it maybe lends weight to being drafted into the navy, as iluleah suggests

M

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 21 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought........
France declared war against England in February 1793 because of his age and crime it is more than likely he was "sent to sea" to be used as cannon fodder as many other convicted of that age range were

and an excellent thought that is  :D

If the possible christening records was his then his father was already in the Forces (Sergeant) so may have used some influence to "save" his son from a life long holiday in NSW

Interesting info Matthewj64 - I'd forgotten the dates for Tas convicts so it rules that out as well. The lack of convict information about this guy does suggest he was somewhere other than Australia.

Volunteering to fight the French looks like the path to follow next

Thank you both very much for your help

Di

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 21 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I am on e reader, so cannot do live links easily,  but RChats search engine will find threads on convicts transported to Bermuda  :) .... that system did not start until 1820s.   ;D

ADD ... Agree with Matthew .... I have not found him in NSW .... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 February 21 04:59 GMT (UK) »
I haven't seen any records in Australian archives so I suspect he may have died prior to transportation but maybe I've missed something.

Your suspicion is justified...
After abt 3 1/2 months on the prison hulk Lion/Lyon, Edmund STONE died on 23 June 1793: https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1271497397/view (#210)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 21 10:27 GMT (UK) »

Your suspicion is justified...
After abt 3 1/2 months on the prison hulk Lion/Lyon, Edmund STONE died on 23 June 1793: https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1271497397/view (#210)

Ohhh Brilliant!

That's a wonderful find TreeSpirit - thanks ever so much  :-*

Sad to read he died so young - such a waste of a young life.

I appreciate your help and hope I can reciprocate sometime in the future.

Cheers
Di

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 February 21 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I am on e reader, so cannot do live links easily,  but RChats search engine will find threads on convicts transported to Bermuda  :) .... that system did not start until 1820s.   ;D

ADD ... Agree with Matthew .... I have not found him in NSW .... 

JM

Sorry JM - didn't mean to ignore you  ;D

Actually I didn't know when Bermuda started receiving convicts and had thought it was a lot earlier
The things you learn on RC  :D

Thanks for your help
Di

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 February 21 11:00 GMT (UK) »
P.S. don't get confused by the title "Mr Bradley: report of convicts on board the Fortunee hulk".
If you go back a few pages, the heading will mention that this section is for the Lion ....