Author Topic: Court records  (Read 674 times)

Offline LEricG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court records
« on: Sunday 14 February 21 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to view old court records? If so how do I go about finding them.
My great grandfather and his father were both called George, and lived in the same place. One of of them was a witness in a case of assault at Loughborough police court in 1894, but the newspaper article does not give any ages so I don't know which George to attach it to.

Any help please?

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Court records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 21 16:37 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast have a "England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935" database.

If you are lucky there may be records of the sentencing, but there is unlikely to be anything relating to witnesses. Such details probably didn't survive past the end of the month.

Are there any other clues in the newspaper report? A similar occupation to your relative might indicate that they were associates. Which of your Georges would be more likely to be in that part of town at that time of day?

Those crime records can make interesting reading. One chap I researched recently had a sentencing entry listing about a dozen previous convictions.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline LEricG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I think I have to resign myself to never being quite sure which one it was, although having looked at census it is more likely to be George junior as George senior, 3 years before the incident, was living a few miles away in Evington, then 7 years after the case he was just down the road at Thurcaston.
Both George's were Ag Labs.

The accused was to "be fined £1 including costs, or 10 days hard labour".

Thanks for your help.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to view old court records? If so how do I go about finding them.
My great grandfather and his father were both called George, and lived in the same place. One of of them was a witness in a case of assault at Loughborough police court in 1894, but the newspaper article does not give any ages so I don't know which George to attach it to.

Records of the Loughborough magistrates court (= police court) are held at the Leicestershire Record Office -- see the entry in their catalogue ...
http://record-office-catalogue.leics.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=T528&pos=1

The court order-book or register should give a list of the witnesses who appeared, possibly with addresses, but an age is unlikely.

Although the record office is closed, the staff are handling email enquiries ...
recordoffice@leics.gov.uk

Offline LEricG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I'll give the record office a try