Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about name changes in the 1800s?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline ReesyJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • When nothing goes right, go left.
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know anything about name changes in the 1800s?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 February 21 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat from me too.  :)

Do you have David in all of the censuses, and is he always referred to as David there too? Have you traced William in case he morphs into ‘David’?

Do you have the birth/baptism records of William in case he is William middle name David?

It could be that David has fallen through the gaps somehow and was not registered, records lost, spelling variations, registered elsewhere or you may have missed him.

If you would like to give us some names we can see if we can come up with anything.

I have posted what I have above.
Also, I have tried looking for William john to see if he disappears at the same time David appears. I don't seem to be able to find William after his baptism, but I cannot be sure. 
Sometimes I feel like I have blinkers on and only see what I want to see.
I would be very grateful If anyone else could look at this for me.
Baldock, Barlow, Brattle, Bray, Cubitt, Cubitt- Keeler, Elphick, Emery, Haselgrove, Jupp, Keeler, Lock, Manser/Manser, Morse, Parsons, Rees, Sayers, Sebbage, Vigor, Wheeler.

Online Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 February 21 13:35 GMT (UK) »

The only John Bray I can find in the right area and time married a Margaret Evans

There seems to be another John Bray in the Ringmer, who was married to Charity Collins 4 Nov 1792.  They were still having children in 1812.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a David among them either.  I wonder if it could be a middle name not recorded at the baptism?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 February 21 13:43 GMT (UK) »

How did you figure out that your great grandfather had changed his name or was it already common knowledge within your family?

I researched his wife and followed her life back... purchased the marriage cert to find his fathers name  but later found he lied about that and put his grandfather as his father ( and he went onto marry again and wrote his uncle down as his father)... so lots and lots of dead end research ...... so I eventually followed each census to find where he was, who he lived with and saw the changes in names he was using.... luckily there was a census within the first year of his birth and he was with his 'parents' with his birth name...it took me a lonnnngggggggg time........the penny dropped when I got his uncles Will and it named family and answered many questions I had.....
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 February 21 15:00 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that David was an illegitimate grandson of John and Charity Bray, and was raised in their home, and put John’s name on the marriage.  It is also possible he was not baptized (I have an illegitimate ancestor, the second born to a couple, no baptism found, but he did put his father’s name on the marriage) or that he was baptized in a non Conformist church.  I have all these examples in my tree, all in Sussex.

Offline ReesyJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • When nothing goes right, go left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 February 21 16:06 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that David was an illegitimate grandson of John and Charity Bray, and was raised in their home, and put John’s name on the marriage.  It is also possible he was not baptized (I have an illegitimate ancestor, the second born to a couple, no baptism found, but he did put his father’s name on the marriage) or that he was baptized in a non Conformist church.  I have all these examples in my tree, all in Sussex.

That is a possibility, however, there would still be some record of a David Bray before he got married in 1848 no matter who his parents were and there isn't anything. It's as if he didn't exist before this date. Also, William John who I think may have become David disappears after his baptism. I have quite a few illegitimate births within my family during this period and on their baptisms, the father's name is just missing, but there is still a baptism. Nevertheless, I am unable to find a baptism of David.

I am completely stumped with this one.

Baldock, Barlow, Brattle, Bray, Cubitt, Cubitt- Keeler, Elphick, Emery, Haselgrove, Jupp, Keeler, Lock, Manser/Manser, Morse, Parsons, Rees, Sayers, Sebbage, Vigor, Wheeler.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 February 21 19:03 GMT (UK) »
In cases like this, sometimes it helps to broaden your search. Here are my suggestions.

Just because David was born in a particular town or city, that doesn't mean he was baptized there, or that his family stayed there. Your challenge, even if you find a baptism somewhere that might fit, will be in proving that it belongs to your guy.

If you're lucky, you might find a mention of David, or his wife and children, in a relative's will, or in a newspaper notice about a relative (if not about David himself).

Have you been able to determine where David was buried? It might be useful to find out if there are any other Brays buried in the same cemetery.

Do you know if any funeral home records still exist in the right time frame and general location where David and/or his wife lived and died? Sometimes funeral homes recorded parents' names.

Was there an obit for David that might have mentioned any relatives?

Even if you have David's children living with him in census records, have you searched for them individually, just in case they might also have been listed in a relative's household while on a visit?

Have you checked the tombstones or cemetery records for the Brays who lived in Ringmer, in case David was named there (even if he wasn't buried there)? Similarly, have you checked marriage and death records, and obits and marriage notices, for those Bray families, in case David was a witness or was mentioned?

These are all long shots, and take a lot of time and effort, but I've had to do all of this, and more, when trying to research some relatives. Sometimes I've found important clues or solid evidence and other times I've either found possibilities or nothing at all. None of it is a waste, though, because I believe that disproving a theory is as important as proving one.

In the meantime, someone on Rootschat might find what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 February 21 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Lots of good suggestions, Josephine!
David is on the 1841 census, as an Ag Lab in the household of Nicholas and Frances (Howell) Stredwick or Stradwick.  The other Ag Lab in the household was a Howell.
You might want to look at any Baptisms for any baby called David in Ringmer from 1809-1811 or so.  He might have been informally adopted, although it seems unlikely he would have changed his surname.
It is possible your David was simply not baptized (one for my 3x great grandfather in Lancashire has never been found).  Have you checked both the parish records and the bishop’s transcripts?  He might have been a twin of William or Lucy, not expected to survive, and baptized at home, and not recorded.
I did check the BNA but found no death notice for David.
DNA might help you link to whatever family he belongs to.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 February 21 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Diana!
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 February 21 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Neither my grandmother nor my grandfather used their given names.
Both ended up for periods of time in households where their names wee already in use.
Both of granddad's first and middle names were in use
so he was known by a third totally unrelated name.
When he went to WW1 newspaper reports of his doings were
under one name in one place and the other in another.

Nan on the other hand lost her first two names and was known
by her third ie her second middle name.

Her aunt (the reason nan could not use her first middle name)
had always used her middle name.
This aunt (my ggaunt) did so for the same reason
as my grandfather and grandmother -- to avoid confusion
with a more senior member in the household of the same name.

Another family of Scottish ancestry had so many members of the same names
 due to Scottish naming patterns
that everyone had nicknames
and these were used in official documents as well like electoral rolls.

All fun when first starting to track folk down.

Had my nan to the wrong parents for all of 2 months back in 1978.
Know a lot about one of her 2nd cousins as a result  ;D :P

pH