Author Topic: Devine/Devan of Tipperary  (Read 687 times)

Offline MrsBarlow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Devine/Devan of Tipperary
« on: Sunday 14 February 21 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the origins of my 2x great grandfather, John Devine/Devan, born 'in Tipperary' circa 1821. His wife, Mary, surname unknown, was also born there at about the same time. By the 1851 census they were living in Northumberland, England, where they lived for the rest of their lives. I have their story going forward, but nothing pre arrival in England. There may have been brothers who emigrated to the USA, mainly Ohio, but I cannot find proof of relationship. My great grandfather, also John, went to Ohio and Pennsylvania in the mid 1890s after 10 years in the Indian Royal Artillery, and I wonder if he went to join family there, before returning to England in 1901.
Wilson-northumberland. Pearce-buckinghamshire and hertfordshire. Barlow-cheshire. Sheldon-staffordshire. Puckey-anywhere.

Offline patrick_a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Devine/Devan of Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 21 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I did a search on findmypast for John Divine circa 1821. I found two entries:
John Devane
02 Jun 1823
Loughmore and Castleiny

John Divane
Jun 1820
Clonoulty

I have a feeling that neither is your ancestor. Looking at the 1841 and 1891 censuses it seems consistent that he was born in 1821. I looked at the family tree on ancestry and it seems that he only had one son named John, which would imply that his father's name was John as well. Both of the baptisms listed had fathers named Patrick.

I did a search on familysearch Ireland Tithe Applotment Books, 1814-1855 for John Devine(assuming he was the father) and there were about 119 results. About 11 of those were from Tipperary. Some variants included Devine, Devon, Davin, Devan, etc... It was expected as those were imposed by the British and they spelled the surnames phonetically.  Those tithe applotments corresponded to Catholic Parishes: Cahir, Clonmel-St. Mary's, Ardfinnan, Templemore, Lorrha and Dorrha, etc.. A lot of those parishes had records from that time period, but a few were missing records or didn't go that far back.
https://registers.nli.ie

I would suggest trying to find a marriage record or death certificate for John Devine from the GRO. Hopefully, either would list his father's name and you could narrow it down from there.

Offline Markdevan86

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Devine/Devan of Tipperary
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 07:39 BST (UK) »
Just saw your post and it intrigued me. My last name is Devan and our ancestors are from Tipperary. I see that your ancestor that lived in England may have had 2 brothers the emigrated to the US.

I have 2 male ancestors that may be his brothers. There names are:

Andrew William Devan, born in 1827 in Tipperary Ireland.

William Andrew Devan, born in 1831 in Tipperary Ireland.

Other than their birthplace we have no further known connections in Ireland.

Hope this is of some help.

Mark Devan