Author Topic: Heaton Lodge, Wortley, Yorkshire  (Read 953 times)

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heaton Lodge, Wortley, Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 February 21 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all! I'm really laughing about the one with the couple inserted on the settee. They are from an entirely different family! But, who would know but me, right?

The reflection in the painting is the same issue we have these days. So, I guess it's NOT an oil painting or it would not have glass. Good job Gadget in removing said reflection. I would really like to be able to get a better view of the subjects in the other wall hangings as well as the person in the photograph on the table...but, I may be asking for the moon on that!

Wouldn't it be interesting to know what colors were in that wallpaper! Granny died in 1903 and my grandfather was born 1888, so this is likely taken sometime in the 1890's. The design makes me think of William Morris.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 February 21 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I also had a giggle at jthe guests!

Is it possible to scan just the paintings, Louise. If so, at 300-600 dpi with  no compression. 
I've been looking/squinting at the man in the pic on the table. He looks quite modern.

Very William Morris  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 February 21 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm, Gadget. I'm not sure how I could scan just a portion of the original photo. Any tips? The scanner I have is just a flatbed scanner (you know, one of those multi-task printer, scanners). I do have another brand new scanner that I have not set up yet. I'm wondering if it would give me that option. It's been sitting in a box for (gulp) 2 years. Supposed to be really good.

Do you have any other tips on scanning just a portion of the original photo. I have an iphone 12 pro but have never tried to scan anything on it. Just got it.

LL

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 February 21 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Great photo, love the Chaise lounge  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 February 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm, Gadget. I'm not sure how I could scan just a portion of the original photo. Any tips? The scanner I have is just a flatbed scanner (you know, one of those multi-task printer, scanners). I do have another brand new scanner that I have not set up yet. I'm wondering if it would give me that option. It's been sitting in a box for (gulp) 2 years. Supposed to be really good.

Do you have any other tips on scanning just a portion of the original photo. I have an iphone 12 pro but have never tried to scan anything on it. Just got it.

LL

When you scan, does your scanner program have a facility to preview. Usually, you can crop portions of the image and choose the size and dpi in the program.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 February 21 22:47 GMT (UK) »
There are some apps that can increase the size of images (rather than just the faces)  without pixelating but I don't have one at the moment. Must get a trial version!  The portrait one that I have wouldn't touch it - too small.

This is about double of the one in your original. I've tried to bring it out but....................

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 February 21 23:08 GMT (UK) »
The large painting.
Again, a larger scan of just the painting might help. However, if the original photograph didn't catch the detail, we can't really get what's not there. 

An oil painting with lots of varnish would give a reflection.

Added - there are quite a few horses and riders in this - a battle or some other type of gathering??

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 February 21 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Gadget, the rendition by John-76 shows the white horses a bit more clearly.

I am going to have to do some research related to the "new" scanner I have to see if I can "preview" the scan and then crop and size so that there's a chance of identifying the subjects in the wall art and table photo. I've determined that the one I have been using does not have that capability.

Thought you all might be interested in seeing the home this came from. Just posting this for info. It is from a local history book. My grandfather had an original photo which I might post for restoration at some point as well.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 February 21 08:52 GMT (UK) »