Author Topic: Sanders of Watnall/Greasley  (Read 652 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sanders of Watnall/Greasley
« on: Sunday 14 February 21 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Got a family of Sander/Sanders/Saunders in Watnall, Greasley parish, but struggling to find the marriage and baptisms of their children.

William Sanders
b. c.1729
d. 1805 in Greasley

wife Ann
b. c.1727
d. 1763 in Greasley

Children (as noted in the will of William, and his son William’s will)
 - Mary (married Robert Smith), b. c.1751, d. 1812 Greasley
 - Alice (married John Clarke), b. c.1751, d. 1821 Greasley
 - William Sanders, farmer of Watnall, b. c.1754, d. 1814 Greasley
 - Jemima (married Joseph Bembridge), b. c.1761, d. 1811 Greasley
 - John Sanders, baker of Bobbers Mill, Nottingham
 - Ann (married Thomas Lee of Arnold)

I can’t find a marriage for William and Ann in the late 1740s/early 1750s, looked for variants Sander, Saunders, etc. Also struggling to find baptisms for the children. There are two possible baptisms I could find for John (1757) and Hannah (1759) Saunders in Greasley, both children of William and Ann, but unsure if they are the right ones, as I can’t find any other siblings.

William and Ann have a headstone in Greasley churchyard which confirms their death dates.

Any ideas for finding their marriage or the missing baptisms? I have looked in Derbyshire and surrounding counties as well but no luck.

Thanks
Alexander

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sanders of Watnall/Greasley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 21 11:58 GMT (UK) »
The only baptism I can add is this on freereg parents William & Ann, also on family search.

Ann SAUNDERS   Baptism   16 May 1762   Nottinghamshire   Nottingham : Castle Gate Meeting of Protestant Dissenter : Unspecified

No marriage in Notts or surrounding Counties.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 21 13:06 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has a Licence for the marriage of William Saunders to Ann Haslam dated 24 March 1750, both of the parish of Greasley. Unfortunately I cannot find any proof that the marriage actually took place. The Bond was put up by Thomas Haslam of Brunsley Gin, parish of Greasley and William Saunders of Belvoir, parish of Greasley. A note says that Belvoir could be Baeuvale.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 February 21 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you both.

For that marriage, I see that a William Saunders married Mary Hallam on 2 May 1750 at Greasley, according to the NFHS marriages and Phillimore's. I wonder if the bride's name was in error on the register. Will need to look into the Haslams/Hallams further.

There were a large family of Sanders at Beauvale, but I have not yet been able to connect William to them.

Thanks,
Alexander