Author Topic: Benjamin FULLUM/OM 1758 onwards  (Read 306 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin FULLUM/OM 1758 onwards
« on: Sunday 14 February 21 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone I have an absolute "Brickwall" with the above Benjamin FULLUM (and variant spellings).

I cannot find any information on him at all from 1758 (Militia French-Indian War) Frederick county Virginia and the Yohogania court records 1778/9.

He seems to be after this in Washington county Pennsylvania where most of my research has been based.

1758- Benjamin FULLOM in French-Indian War Virginia (Frederick County) spelt also BANG FOOLOM/ Fullom/Foolam/Fulhone.

1760 VIRGINIA Census consulted. Nothing specific on Benjamin FULLUM, some other variant name spellings.

1773 Tax Assessments.  Nothing found so far.

1781 Not on Tax records for Washington county PA

From 1783 Benjamin then seems to appear on the Tax lists for Washington County PA, I thought that the proximity was a good sign and with the border changes in the area it could be the same man BUT how do I fill in the gaps between 1758 and the court appearances in 1778/9 OR find any details on Benjamins origins??

In the records from Washington County (I have collected everything from there now I believe).  It seems likely (possible) that this man is Coloured OR his descendants are coloured.  I do not know if this Benjamin who lived in Frederick County Virginia was a Freed Slave himself OR if he was the white ancestor of the Fullum clan in PA.

1778 April 29 Benjamin FULLUM  Court proceedings on: Virginia court records in Southwestern   Pennsylvania: records of the District of West Augusta and Ohio and Yohogania Counties, Virginia, 1775-1780 by Boyd Crumrine.

So this is where I am at the moment trying to fill in the "gaps" between 1758 onwards.  I thought I would find something on Tithable records in Virginia (or surrounding area) BUT nothing as yet.  Any suggestions very much appreciated.  Kind regards Dianna from Aus

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin FULLUM/OM 1758 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 21 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Just some ideas, no records:

1. Could it be that Benjamin Fullum went off to fight in the French and Indian War and just stayed in what would become Washington County? The war was fought in western PA, along the Ohio River, etc., I believe. Maybe he never went back east to Frederick, VA.

Does it say what military unit/regiment he served with, or under what captain, etc? The muster rolls might tell you that. You might be able to learn where exactly he fought. Google the regiment and/or the captain + the war and/or the county.

Are there records from the future Washington Co area for the time period 1758 to 1783?

2. Is he mentioned in any of the county histories for that area? Google, for example, Washington County Pennsylvania county history, biographical portraits, early history, early settlers, etc. Include the state. There are a lot of Washington Counties in the US.

Just googled it: there are 31 :)

3. Were there other families from Frederick VA, in what would become Washington County PA? That might add to the evidence that the Benjamin Fullum in Frederick VA was the same as the man in Washington Co.

4. Were the variants on the 1760 census of VA close enough that they could be him? Then again, the war didn't end until 1763. Were men in the army on the census? Were the variants in Frederick Co? Could they have been his family members?

5. Were there other Fullum families in Frederick, VA? Were they white or black? Does knowing that help identify Benjamin? Could he have been white and married a free black woman? I think the id of color in the column on the census records was in the eye of the enumerator, not how the family viewed themselves, but I might be wrong.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 21 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks so much for your reply.  I think I will post some separate replies with snips of information that I do have.  I'd like to go through you post step by step.  So good to have another set of eyes on this.

Virginia Colonial Militia, 1651-1776 has any reference to any Fullum/Fullin/Fullen/Fulham/Fullom/Foolom/Foolam/Fulhone, etc.

Luckily, that book is online and searchable:  :  https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiuo.ark:/13960/t0wq12k6t;view=1up;seq=7

In addition to Benjamin Fullam, who was from Frederick County and fought under Captain Thomas Speak, there is a Charles Fullen who fought in Lord Dunmore’s War under Robert Doack and a James Fullen who was garrisoned at the “Upper Station.”  Daniel Fullin was in Botetourt County.  James Fulham, of Captain Lewis’ company, was wounded in 1754. 

This above is from an email I received a while back.  To answer your question on who Benjamin fought?? under.  Thanks Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 February 21 01:39 GMT (UK) »

http://files.usgwarchives.net/va/frederick/military/frenchindian/fiw_frederick.txt

The above link has him entered twice being paid two different amounts! Unless that is father and son/other relative.  Not sure!

To John Vance, James Meamack, James Morris, William Hall,
   William Miller, Benjamiam Foolam, William Locard, Thomas
   Linsey, Levi Jones, Edward Martin, Josiah Springer, Mark
   Hardin, Solomon Burkem, Samuel Stubbs, Gilbert Gorden,
   George Bell, Charles Colson, James Grigson, George Rice,
   John Miller, William Jacobs, Joshua Ewings, and Thomas
   Conaly, l. 2 each,

To Francis M'Crimar, Gasper Bewtoole, Hugh Stephenson,
   Edward Haven, John Hudson, Benjamin Fullom, John Vance,
   John Stephenson, Josiah Combs, James Morris, 8s. each,

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 February 21 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Virginia in 1760 shows Cornelius Fullin/Fulling and Roger Fullin in Frederick County in Frederick County Order Book 9, 1760-1762 (pages 62 and 226 for Cornelius and page 244 for Roger).  A William Fullin is in Westmoreland County Order Books 1758-1764 on page 133.  This book is just an index, so I don’t have transcripts of the original order books to know why they appear.  One of these men could be a father, brother or other relative of your Benjamin.

1760 Census Virginia
FULGHAM, John, Isle of Wight 53:186
FULLGHAM, Charles, Isle of Wight 53: 259
FULLIN, Cornelius, FREDERICK 14:244+ 226
             Roger, FREDERICK 14:244
             William, Westmoreland, 60:133
FULLINS Cornelius, FREDERICK 14:62