Author Topic: Help Needed finding a Couple more Burial Records in Blyth Please!  (Read 889 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed finding a Couple more Burial Records in Blyth Please!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 February 21 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I don't think you are on the wrong track with the Wilson family -- I don't know where John actually lived at the time of the marriage, but if Ann Wilson was baptised at Earsdon - it was customary to marry in the bride's parish -- so Earsdon seems to have at least been her parish at the marriage AND from JenB's baptism find -- born in that Parish.

(And don't forget that child's middle name)

But the baptism I found was in Bothal  not Earsdon.

John Stephenson born around 1793-96 in Hendon, Sunderland, Durham married Ann Wilson (born 1796 in Earsdon, Northumberland) on 19th March 1816 at St Alban, Earsdon.

Hello David.

I might be on the wrong track here.

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that in the 1851 census Ann's birthplace is given as Longhurst, which was in the Parish of Bothal (near Morpeth) and not Earsdon, and her age is given as 61 i.e. born circa 1790.

There is a baptism in Bothal in 1792 of an Ann Wilson, daughter of William and Jane Wilson of Longhirst.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G967-P3D8?i=51&cat=1827367
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 February 21 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenB,

I think that what I have done is having found the marriage, which I stumbled upon one day after years of searching. I then just looked for any baptisms it seems, and found one for an Ann Wilson in 1796 in Earsdon to a Thomas & Rachel Wilson, the abode on the baptism record was Seaton Sluice. Completely missing the 1851 census detail re age & birthplace that you kindly brought to my attention. If as it seems she was born in Longhurst & not Earsdon, then that means that I am going to have to remove about four possibly five generations from my family tree, which are it seems clearly incorrect.

It looks very much like I should be searching in the Longhurst/Bothal area for the Wilson's.

My thanks for putting me on the right track, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 February 21 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry JenB, for 'quoting' you incorrectly, I am clearly in one of my many episodes of confusion.

I'll butt out.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 February 21 20:16 GMT (UK) »
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 February 21 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pennines,

Thanks for your post re the Wilson's much appreciated.

Regarding where the family lived, the census addresses were all in South Blyth, which if memory serves me correctly, was covered at the time by the ecclesiastical parish of Earsdon. At the time of the marriage & subsequent baptisms of the children, it is quite likely that he was living in South Blyth, the same as he was in the censuses. No actual proof of that as yet, but quite likely I would think, given his occupations.

As I have mentioned in my reply 19 above, I have clearly made some mistakes in my researching of the family.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)