Author Topic: Who was Philip Crick (1777-1816)?  (Read 2464 times)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Philip Crick (1777-1816)?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 March 21 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure Mary Crick nee Pond died 1840?

FreeREG has a Burial of a Mary CRICK 24 May 1818 Covent Garden age 45. (1773)****
Abode Maiden Lane

Also Nat Archives;
Will of Mary Crick, Fruit Saleswoman of Maiden Lane Covent Garden , Middlesex
Date: 26 September 1818

If her Susannah Crick may have been looking after the children after their parents died.

Death Regs GRO;

CRICK, MARY  age 32  (1808)****
GRO Reference: 1840  M Quarter in ST GILES IN THE FIELDS AND ST GEORGE BLOOMSBURY  Volume 01  Page 51

RICK, MARY age 64 (1776)***
GRO Reference: 1840  S Quarter in LAMBETH  Volume 04  Page 150

So there is one born c 1776 but are you sure she was Philips Wife?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline FrancisGrn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 March 21 11:48 GMT (UK) »
wow, she may have actually died in 1818 instead. She would be five years older than her husband though; I'm not sure how common that was back then. Maiden Lane is after all the road that they lived on. Philip Crick did however have a sister Mary Ann though, so that might be a possibility. I still think that the key would be to find 'William Pond' who is clearly a relative, possibly a brother, and whether Ann Goff could be a relative
Best wishes,
Francis

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 March 21 13:10 GMT (UK) »
The Mary Crick who died in 1818 is definitely your Mary. I just skimmed her will and I picked out 'my late husband' referring to Philip who died in 1816 and 'my eldest son Philip.' I am terrible at reading old handwriting but you can view the will on Ancestry if you have an account there or alternatively you can create a National Archives account and view it for free:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D525503

Also I wouldn't put too much store by the age at death listed on the burial record. The information is only as accurate as the information provided by the informant, which in a lot of cases was simply an educated guess. Most records I have found are at the very least a year or two out.
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 March 21 13:33 GMT (UK) »
She asks to be buried as near to her late husband as possible, to have a plain walking funeral and that her children follow her corpse to the grave; she talks about a partnership she lately formed with a James Coburn*. Also mentions sale of all her furniture except her wearing apparel [for her infant daughter] and portrait of 'my late husband Philip & myself'. Wouldn't it be great to find that?

* This may say Godwin....

Mentions George Crick, brother of her late husband 'now about the age of twenty one years and in my employ'.  Two of executors Ephraim Goatly & John Drake.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 March 21 13:44 GMT (UK) »
She asks to be buried as near to her late husband as possible, to have a plain walking funeral and that her children follow her corpse to the grave; she talks about a partnership she lately formed with a James Coburn*. Also mentions sale of all her furniture except her wearing apparel [for her infant daughter] and portrait of 'my late husband Philip & myself'. Wouldn't it be great to find that?

* This may say Godwin....

Mentions George Crick, brother of her late husband 'now about the age of twenty one years and in my employ'.

Oops, looks like I missed a sibling of Philip!

George CRICK

b. 31 May 1796

bap. 25 Dec 1797

to Philip & Susan Crick

Bury St Edmund, Suffolk

Well, at least we know we've found the right Philip!
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 March 21 13:46 GMT (UK) »
If only my family had been in the position to write wills - it certainly helps to confirm relationships!!

Mary must have been unwell to have written such a long will in advance.

Do you think this is the wrong Mary, Trish?
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline FrancisGrn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 March 21 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that's truly amazing! That would be ridiculous to find a portrait  :o. I'm sure it's with one of his descendants who probably don't even know who's on it! I think there's more in the will if you turn the page. I'll post the whole thing to the transcription squad and see if maybe something might come up

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 March 21 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've taken info from whole will. I can transcribe it given time....mostly she talks about buying annuities & trusts with the money from the sale of goods. I think I have got the most important bits out.

Offline FrancisGrn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 March 21 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Josey! Just post the transcription on this thread.
Best Wishes
Francis