Author Topic: Next steps  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Next steps
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 February 21 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Presumably you are aware of Scotland’s People?

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Offline LostLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 March 21 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I am, thank you. They were very helpful when I was trying to decipher handwriting.

Has anyone taken more than one DNA test? Am toying with taking one with a different company, partly to check my results (my partner thinks I'm clutching at straws) but also to see what else it may throw up - especially with the X-chromosome.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 March 21 13:23 GMT (UK) »
You can upload your raw data to other companies rather than take new tests.

As luck would have if you upload to My Heritage it is currently free to access all of the DNA features. The offer is limited and well worth doing:
https://www.myheritage.com/dna/upload

A bit of information here about how to go about this:
https://faq.myheritage.com/en/article/how-can-i-upload-a-dna-file-to-myheritage

Offline LostLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 March 21 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I have uploaded to myHeritage - only used the autocluster function so far. Annoying I paid the one time fee a couple of weeks ago. Which other tools do you think are useful?

Am also on gedmatch, which has been handy for DNA painter.

I know the x-matches come up as well when upload on other sites, but was was wondering if mtDNA tests would show any more? Am still having trouble getting my head round the NPE, even though I know there was unlikely to be a mix-up at the lab I'm wondering if another test would help, can't argue with myself if two tests have the same results.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 March 21 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Even when you think you have a 'complete' family tree backed by loads of research, DNA results can certainly throw a spanner in the works, as I found out recently, and it can be even more difficult when you want to protect others.
If you need any help or suggestions on untangling the Irish bit feel free to send me a PM (Personal Message) and I'll try to help.
Good luck whatever happens, aghadowey
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 March 21 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry LL I (didn't re read the thread and) forgot that you have already uploaded your data to My Heritage.

Chromosome browser is useful.

I don't know much about mtDNA but I have read that that is the least useful of the tests (can't recall the reasons why) - I'm sure there are plenty of reviews/discussions/blogs/opinions etc to be found about mtDNA on the internet.

Offline LostLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 March 21 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I'll have a look at the broswer. No need to apologise, we've all slept since the start of the thread  :D There is some debate around how useful mtDNA is but thought it may be worth doing (or give me an excuse) if got another autosomal test.

Might take you up on that aghadowey, have been toying with setting up another account so I can ask questions on the maternal side without revealing paternal information.

Offline JohnDoe2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Good morning all. What a dilemma, but not an uncommon one. A couple of things for you. You may know this, mtDNA is passed down on the maternal line only. Matching on this requires that others have taken the test also.

Non parental events happen for a variety of reasons beyond infidelity. Think about that for a minute. Your mom may be harboring a secret that she is ashamed of, perhaps something traumatic. People take discovering different genetic parents very differently. My suggestion is to be gentle and to ask. The DNA results speak for themselves.

I am curious how you discovered your genetic father is different than the man you knew as your father. Has your father been tested also? You indicate your father does not know. There are several books out there that deal first hand with this type of discovery. It is a very personnel experience. I wish you the best in your quest.

Offline LostLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JohnDoe. I've taken the LivingDNA test in the end as thought it may help untangle the Scottish/Irish side, in addition to double-checking my results. This was also after realising I was getting confused between mtDNA and the x chromosome.

The first match that came up on AncestryDNA was Parent/Child - shared DNA 3,487 cM, across 22 segments. My Dad has been tested as well, he didn't come up but I don't know if his results are shared or not. I ignored the match for the first week or so, then went back started researching into how accurate the findings are, and at that level it's apparently fairly conclusive.

I've been estranged from my mother for over 25 years. I know NPE can occur for different reasons , but I do think if she known she would have told me - she has shared other things that have happened. I don't think it was necessarily infidelity, it sounds like a bit of an overlap at the start of her relationship with my Dad.

The second match that came up was his nephew - shared DNA 953 cM across 39 segments. I'd accidentally left myself visible after my most recent late night search (am not now) and he contacted me yesterday to ask how we are connected. It took me by surprise so I wasn't prepared, and was a bit vague as I couldn't work out if he had looked at shared matches or not.

I've joined an NPE group whilst I try and process this, and I know from reading the posts of others  that I'm 'lucky' to find this match and that he is still living. It just strikes me as odd that the two closest matches that came up are people I've not got any connection with.

Sorry for yet another long post.