Author Topic: 1904 Italian Marriage Banns - One line I need help with  (Read 917 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
1904 Italian Marriage Banns - One line I need help with
« on: Monday 15 February 21 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My eyes are giving up on trying to decipher this one line from the portion of an Italian Marriage Banns that provides information concerning the consent given to the marriage.  I have highlighted the troublesome portion in yellow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Mary50

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1904 Italian Marriage Banns - One line I need help with
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 21 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zacktyr,

.......come la dichiarazione ricevuta dal regio console di Glasgow  = as well as the declaration received from the royal consul of Glasgow. 

I'm pretty confident that is what it says, but if you want to post a bigger portion of the document, I can compare letters better.

Mary

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Mary,

Thank you so much for replying, and so quickly.  I had most of the sentence but for two portions:

1.  the second word on the complete line which you have now kindly transliterated as "dichiarazione".  For the life of me I just couldn't see it.  But, with your input it is now crystal clear.  So one problem solved.  Thank you so much.

2.  the last word on that same line which looks for all the world like "Glasgow".  I also came up with "from the royal consul of".  This marriage, the banns and the parties all belong to Barga, Italy (Province of Lucca).  I very much doubt that the mother of the groom would end up in Glasgow.  But stranger things have happened!  Rather, I suspect that the mother of the groom lived out the greater portion of her life in a convent (the groom was illegitimate).  Do you know of any place of refuge that would operate with a "royal consul".  I am greatly missing context which would come from personal knowledge of this place or even of Italy.  I have scoured this document from top to bottom for any other letter that looks like the ending letter of the troublesome word "Glasgo...".  Sadly, there are none.

Any idea on my point #2, above.
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Mary50

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zacktyr.  Sorry, I don't have any knowledge regarding Barga records.  Is it possible, and this is pure speculation on my part, that the groom spent part of his adult life in Glasgow and therefore needed a document to verify that he hadn't married there previously.  I know that in the late 19th and early 20th century, lots of Italians went to the UK as ice cream vendors, confectioners, sculptors, street musicians, etc.  He might have been employed by someone from his town, or a relative.  Even though he was illegitimate, if his mother gave her consent, he must have known his relatives, and maybe one of them took him under his wing and took him to Glasgow to give him employment.  I can stare at that word forever, and I still see "Glasgow".  The "w" looks exactly like my father, who was educated in Italian, used to write it  -- like a double "v".  Perhaps if you look up the census for the years he "might" have been in Scotland, who knows, he might show up.  Sorry, I can't be of any more help.

Mary

Offline Mary50

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zacktyr.  Have done a little googling and came up with this.  It seems that the largest number of Italians in Glasgow came from Lucca.  If you hover the cursor over the purple dots, you will see their names.   Perhaps a name will be familiar to you.

https://maps.nls.uk/projects/italians/index.html

Mary

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Mary,

In responding to both of your posts, Thank You for that link.  This is a terrific resource.

The mother's name was Amabile Da Prato.  Although I do not see her name on the list, there are quite a few Da Prato individuals/families on it.  So, now, it is making a bit more sense that it really could be "Glasgow".  I, like you, am familiar with the odd "w" in Italian looking like a double "v".  Seeing a reference to "Glasgow" in an Italian marriage document took me quite by surprise, to say the least!  We learn something every day.

I did find two of the Da Prato dots on the Glasgow city map.  Both of those were of "Unknown" origins.  I also checked a number of the purple dots but none that I found were Da Prato.  The other Da Prato households are amongst dozens of dots so it will take a bit of time going through those.  I'll have to dig out my map of Glasgow to identify the streets on, first.

The groom was described as a bachelor and was 24 at the time of marriage and had been residing at Barga apparently for some time. His birth certificate states he was born in Barga and by all indications his mother had intended to keep her baby with her. Circumstances change, though. 

In the description of the bride, she was a maiden of 18 and is recorded as having resided at Barga for only 1 year.  She was a foundling born in Barga and sent to a home in Lucca.  So, there must have been a distinction made between those not long in the town and those of longer residency.  I will take a look at the 1891 and 1900 census for Glasgow. 

Thank you so much for your help in this.  My eyes were crossing having stared at that one line for so long and the reference to "Glasgow" made me think my eyes were completely lying to me.

CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline Mary50

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zacktyr.  Glad to hear that the link might be of some help.  But, as is often the case,  some answers bring more questions.  We just have to keep at it and eventually the pieces will fall into place.  Genealogy can be fascinating and infuriating at the same time.  Right now I'm trying to solve the problem of a couple of ancestors where the husband was born 3 years after his father died and the wife was born when her mother was 8.  Obviously, those that reported their deaths must have guessed at their age.

Mary

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Mary,

Oh, dear!  If you need a fresh pair of eyes I would certainly be happy to help.

CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 February 21 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zack

You didn't mention groom's name so not sure. But your mention of groom's mother being Amabile Da Prato, could there be any connection to this family group here? www.findagrave.com/memorial/134514056/nello-da_prato

This must be the same group here www.ancestry.co.uk/genealogy/records/amabile-da-prato-24-17hnwmc

I think this Nello was in Ayrshire for the 1901 census:

Nella Da Prato 20 Head Ice Cream Maker b. Italy
Bensdetti Palmero 21 Boarder Ice Cream Maker b. Italy

Can't see a marriage for him in Scotland. He applied for UK naturalization in 1915. At least 2 sons (just found a family tree for this Nello on a/try) born before the 1911 census. The son's Scottish birth certs would include date and place of parents' marriage. These are available to view online on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk