Author Topic: Toomebridge - O'Neill's Country House Hotel  (Read 771 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Toomebridge - O'Neill's Country House Hotel
« on: Tuesday 16 February 21 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested in finding out the history of O'Neill's Hotel, Toome, during the period from about 1890 to 1925.

I know that the place was originally owned by Lord O'Neill, hence the name.     I also know that it was bought in 1935 by a farming family called Taggart and that they owned it for many years.

However, I would like to know more about its pre 1935 story, particularly that period from about the turn of the century up to the mid nineteen twenties or so.

Can anyone help?

Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Toomebridge - O'Neill's Country House Hotel
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Old newspapers can be a good source of info. For example, in 1892, apparently it re-opened as:

.     Owing to the death of the late proprietor, the Hotel has been closed for some time, and has been Remodelled and Refurnished throughout   

The new proprietor being an F. Grant.( possibly Francis), albeit some later references to a James Grant., JP, having links to the hotel.

For the period you mention, the hotel receives many references in the newspapers in relation to numerous meetings, auctions, and coroner inquests held there.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 11:06 GMT (UK) »
An entry in 1922 says:

.     The O’Neill Arms Hotel. Toome, has been taken over by the constabulary authorities. and there are present some 200 members of this force in possession   

In 1935

.     On Monday Mr. Allen sold O Neill Arms Hotel. Toome, for Francis Grant, Esq J.P After very keen bidding. Mr Arthur Taggart. The Battery. Coagh, was the purchaser at £1,900.   

Francis must have then died have on or before 1940, as this 1940 death entry states:

. Mrs. Margaret Mary Totten, widow of Mr. Bernard Totten and sister of the late Mr. Francis Grant, O’Neill Arms Hotel, Toome.     

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 11:24 GMT (UK) »
December 1936 death for Francis:

.    THE LATE MR. FRANCIS GRANT. The death of Mr. Francis Grant, the "grand old man of Toome, took place last week at his residence in his 88th year

Quite a detailed obituary, mentioning his time in England and Scotland too, and his election to Antrim County Council etc, in the December 19, 1936 - Ballymena Weekly Telegraph.

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all that.  I can see I'm going to have to renew my subscription to British Newspapers on line!    I stopped it years ago to give my poor old eyes some chance of surviving!

That bit about the Constabulary taking it over in 1922 is particularly interesting.   I'd like to know more about that.

Siobhán

Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.