Author Topic: .swx files - a safe way of opening please?  (Read 350 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.swx files - a safe way of opening please?
« on: Tuesday 16 February 21 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I'm going through some old family history folders and have stumbled upon a few very old  .swx files that I'd like to open. I've tried Adobe and MS Word but they won't play ball,  although a Google search suggested they might.

Could anyone suggest a safe way of opening them and converting them to a Word or simple text document, please. I don't want to download the other various apps that have come up.

Thanks ever so

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: .swx files - a safe way of opening please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I take it the files are OpenOffice docs, and you don't want to install LibreOffice.

You could use the portable version of LibreOffice, installing it to a USB drive, portable drive or a path on your local drive, convert your docs and and wipe the drive/path afterwards.

LibreOffice > Portable versions
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions

Having a quick search there are also some online SWX converter services but it does mean uploading your docs to a 3rd party.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: .swx files - a safe way of opening please?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Cuffie.

I wanted to avoid to avoid downloading Libre for just a few files and I'm not sure I want to upload.  :-\

I'll try your portable Libre on a stick. I can always delete it afterwards or keep it. I've got a few spare usb sticks.

Add - These seem to be from 2003 and I remember that I did have a copy of OO then as well a Word, so it wouldn't have been a problem reading them when I was sent them  then!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***