Author Topic: Added name  (Read 344 times)

Offline blueal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Added name
« on: Tuesday 16 February 21 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone shed any light on why my grandad had another name added between birth and getting married? He was Bernard Leo Rhodes b.28th April 1903 d. 18th November 1964. Talking to my mom the other day and she says that on his marriage certificate he is down as Bernard Leo Joseph Rhodes can anyone tell me where Joseph has come from?

Thanks in advance

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Added name
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 18:12 GMT (UK) »
What religion was he?
Have you confirmed the name(s) at each event by official documents?

was the marriage 1934 in Solihull?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV8C-KMBS

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline ReesyJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • When nothing goes right, go left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 18:24 GMT (UK) »
It could be that he was baptised/christened with an extra middle name that doesn't show on his birth certificate.
Baldock, Barlow, Brattle, Bray, Cubitt, Cubitt- Keeler, Elphick, Emery, Haselgrove, Jupp, Keeler, Lock, Manser/Manser, Morse, Parsons, Rees, Sayers, Sebbage, Vigor, Wheeler.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Was he Catholic? If so, Joseph may have been a name added at baptism or confirmation. As it was his 3rd name and as his first and second names were respectively those of a saint and several popes, I'd guess Joseph was his confirmation name.
My dad had a middle name which wasn't on his birth certificate but which he used as part of his full name on official documents and correspondence. Ditto one of his brothers. They would have been baptismal or confirmation names.   
Cowban

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Was he Catholic? If so, Joseph may have been a name added at baptism or confirmation. As it was his 3rd name and as his first and second names were respectively those of a saint and several popes, I'd guess Joseph was his confirmation name.
My dad had a middle name which wasn't on his birth certificate but which he used as part of his full name on official documents and correspondence. Ditto one of his brothers. They would have been baptismal or confirmation names.   

Ditto my (Catholic) mum and dad - each gained a third forename on confirmation (about age 11 or 12)

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline blueal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes he was a catholic so that will be the answer.

Thank you

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Ditto my (Catholic) mum and dad - each gained a third forename on confirmation (about age 11 or 12)

I have a 3rd Christian name which is a confirmation name. I don't use it officially.
Probate for my uncle says "also known as Peter Francis". Francis wasn't a name previously used by either side of the family so he may have chosen it himself for confirmation.
Cowban