Author Topic: Mary Mc Closkey Ovill Dungiven  (Read 2080 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Mc Closkey Ovill Dungiven
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 12:45 BST (UK) »
When would William & Mary have gotten married? If before civil registration (1864 for Catholic marriages or from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages) then the only record will be from a church register (if it survives) but remember that not all records are online.
How do you know that William Hegarty came from Newtownstewart area? He might have come from outside the area and married a local girl or came with his wife to the area.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BMcC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 13:41 BST (UK) »
That Mary is from Ovil Dungiven and that she married William Hegarty from Newtownstewart is information that has been handed down orally.
There is a quarry near to Ovil - Altmover Quarry which had stone of fine quality and used in many substantial buildings. William may have come for work as a stonemason.
His son Richard was employed as a skilled stonemason. A stone in Derrychrier Bridge near my home bears Richards name.

Offline thedownman93

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
That Mary is from Ovil Dungiven and that she married William Hegarty from Newtownstewart is information that has been handed down orally.
There is a quarry near to Ovil - Altmover Quarry which had stone of fine quality and used in many substantial buildings. William may have come for work as a stonemason.
His son Richard was employed as a skilled stonemason. A stone in Derrychrier Bridge near my home bears Richards name.

Many thanks again, I will have a look at some time

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 19:38 BST (UK) »
Are there two posters here or one who seems to be double posting?  Thedownman93 and BMcM often have identical posts.  If there are two different posters that is fine but if not is there a reason for the double posting? 

Offline thedownman93

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
Are there two posters here or one who seems to be double posting?  Thedownman93 and BMcM often have identical posts.  If there are two different posters that is fine but if not is there a reason for the double posting?

Hi, sorry it that was the case, I was just trying to gather information, I dont mean to be repeated myself

Offline thedownman93

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 May 21 21:05 BST (UK) »

Do you know what part of Newtownstewart he was from?

Offline RD123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 August 23 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

A family member was able to gather some information for me, I only have details of Mary's McCloskey's death in 1874, thats all I have on the McCloskeys. Elizabeth's sister, Mary Anna married a Robert Hampson. The Hampsons moved to Scotland then came back to Derry, Annie Hampson my great grandmother was born in Scotland.

Arthur Mulhern my granffather, was brought up in Feeny. It says there are some McCloskeys living in Feeny in the 1901 & 1911 cenus. That could be a contection to Mary McCloskey, not sure what year Mary was born in. I did not know that William Hegarty was from Tryone. Most of my family from my mother's side were brought up in Derry

Hi @thedownman93, I think your grandad Arthur and my grandmother are siblings. I'm not sure how this forum works but could you message me back?