Author Topic: Mary Mc Closkey Ovill Dungiven  (Read 2021 times)

Offline thedownman93

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Mc Closkey Ovill Dungiven
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 May 21 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have some for Richard Hegarty's family. I was talking about Richard's mother Mary Hegarty (Mc Closkey)

Offline BMcC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 May 21 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you. All your research is much appreciated.

I was aware of the twins who died in infancy but could not find a death certificate for them.

It is with Mary McCloskey Ovil, an only child, who died in 1874 that I have hit a brick wall. She married William Hegarty who was born in 1802 and died in 1892.

She inherited house/land in which they lived from her McCloskey father/mother.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 May 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
I was aware of the twins who died in infancy but could not find a death certificate for them.

Ellen McCloskey died aged 3 months on 28th May.

Mary Ann McCloskey died aged 3 months on 6th June.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1917/05210/4440733.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 May 21 20:56 BST (UK) »
My 4 times great grandmother Mary McCloskey married Richard Hegarty, died on 14 August 1874. I have no information on her date of birth. I'm not sure if she would be related to Patrick McCloskey, his son would be Cardinal John McCloskey.

My grandad was born in Feeny, not far from where Patrick McColskey was born.

I'm not sure if I've missed some info. but would it not be an idea to get the marriage record for Mary McCloskey to find out who her father was & his occ. to work from before trying to incorporate possible relatives?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline BMcC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 May 21 21:08 BST (UK) »
To date, I have had no success in obtaining their marriage certificate.
Probably down to my lack of skill in this area. Very often it comes down to luck whether I source a certificate or not and other times I find them without any effort.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 May 21 21:54 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if I've missed some info. but would it not be an idea to get the marriage record for Mary McCloskey to find out who her father was & his occ. to work from before trying to incorporate possible relatives?

William Hegarty born c1802 according to his death certificate-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1892/06030/4717184.pdf

Civil registration of Catholic marriages didn't begin until 1864. I can't see Mary's death registration at the moment  but I suspect then marriage was well before 1864, in which case you'd need to search church registers. Many are online but dates covered vary. However, early registers don't usually list details of parents.
https://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline thedownman93

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 May 21 23:19 BST (UK) »

Thank you. All your research is much appreciated.

It is with Mary McCloskey Ovil, an only child, who died in 1874 that I have hit a brick wall. She married William Hegarty who was born in 1802 and died in 1892.

She inherited house/land in which they lived from her McCloskey father/mother.

NP, I looked up hegarty's in Newtownstewart in 1901, they all come up as protestants. I can't find any catholics in the area. Strange, William Hegarty was a catholic? just curious 

Offline thedownman93

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 May 21 23:24 BST (UK) »

A cousin was able to help find some, it was hard to find the rest

Offline BMcC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 10:16 BST (UK) »
William was probably a Protestant as that is the only records I could find for Hegarty's in Newtownstewart. Subsequently, the only way I can know we are dealing with the right person is to obtain Mary and William's marriage certificate. Is visiting PRONI offices in Belfast the only way I am going to source this certificate?