Author Topic: Elizabeth Gray Scanlan?.  (Read 671 times)

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandfather Alexander Allison in 1916
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Gray Scanlan?.
« on: Tuesday 16 February 21 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I was hoping someone might be able to find a death and where abouts of an Elizabeth Neil Gray born in 1909 to John Gray and Elizabeth Neil in Blantyre Scotland. it’s believed she went to America, my aunt thinks it may have been California As they had an old address she found where her mum went to visit sometimes and remember the family sending over her. She married John Scanlan she thinks. She had two sister in Canada as well so maybe even came over with them which was in the 1920s

Thanks

Gary
Hamilton, Lanarkshire - Devine, McGarry, Daisley, McGuire, Mullen, Sheridan, Ford
Blantyre, Lanarkshire - Gibson, Hamill, McInulty
Avondale, Strathaven - Mulligan, Dempsey
Glasgow - Sinclair, Allison, McFarlane
Renfrewshire - Allison
Perthshire - Sinclair, Roy, Donaldson
Edinburgh and Caithness Thurso - Sutherland
Edinburgh and Ayrshire - Sheridan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Gray Scanlan?.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Scotlands People shows the Gray/Scanlan marriage in 1950 & Elizabeths death in Scotland in 2001

However - her age at death does not support a 1909 birth

If she was born Elizabeth Neil Gray - wouldn’t she be Elizabeth Neil Scanlan rather than Elizabeth Gray Scanlan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,

Putting this on hold for the moment after seeing that. It appears there multiple member of my family marrying different memebrs of the Scanlan family all with the same names lol so need to look into it more

Gary
Hamilton, Lanarkshire - Devine, McGarry, Daisley, McGuire, Mullen, Sheridan, Ford
Renfrewshire - Allison

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 21 23:30 GMT (UK) »
So it turns out the Elizabeth in 1909 died in 1912, no idea how I missed that one lol and the Elizabeth Scanlan that died in 2001 was the niece of the 1909 Elizabeth, but not the woman I’m looking for.

This Elizabeth married a John Scanlan, I believe her name is just Elizabeth Gray now and they married in Scotland and had two children named Elizabeth and John born in the 50s, it’s believed both have since passed as a relative stopped receiving mail from them ten years ago. The relative says that they moved to Canada in 1957 roughly and because he went over in 58 with his family and says that the woman was known as Betty and she helped them find a home because she was cousins with his dad, but after a year or so, Elizabeth (Betty) and john and the kids upped and moved to California. I’ve found an Elizabeth Isabella and John Gray Scanlan both born in 1951 and the relative was born in 1953 and remembers playing with the kids well. I do have an address of a Mrs J Scanlan in California that my aunt still had but must be decades old now. I looked at all the older siblings and a few had daughters named Elizabeth, but they’ve been located.

Any help would be great it’s really annoying me 😂
Renfrewshire - Allison

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 February 21 15:39 GMT (UK) »
There is this UK Departure Record for an Elizabeth  Scanlon but this one was born 1927 ?
Departure from Greenock 11 April 1956 going to Montreal Canada with the other names you mentioned
The address in the UK was 77,Aughenbaith Road Blantyre is  this address known to you ?
You might need to remove the names of the children as possibly still living

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 February 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the marriage record for Elizabeth and John Scanlan giving the name of parents
As there is death for a John Scanlan birth date 2 August 1924 Udingston Lanarkshire
Died 24/1/2005 Milpitas Santa Clara California
Mother Isabella Kirkwood

This could be a possible death for Elizabeth Scanlan
Birth date 11/7/1927
Died 16/11/2012
Milpitas California
These birth dates are the same given on the departure record

Rosie

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 February 21 16:59 GMT (UK) »
That’s sounding like them!

Their marriage was 1950, like in reply#1. There were two Elizabeth’s, cousins I believe, that married brothers. The Elizabeth death in 2001 that was found is of a the other Elizabeth who married Peter Scanlan who’s mother was also Isabella Kirkwood.

The address is exactly where the family all lived, basically every house was full of relatives. And the date matches what a relative said as well. I can’t access their marriage because it’s within the privacy law here. There are two Elizabeth born in Blantyre in 1927, with middle names I’m not familiar with. I’ve noticed as well it’s Scanlan with an O instead of an A and the address I have is Scanlan with an O so it’s adding up but I just don’t know where this Elizabeth comes from or who her parents are

Gary
Renfrewshire - Allison

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 February 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes did notice the 2 births for Elizabeth Gray 1927 Blantyre but not available for download did notice the marriage 2 listings one for Elizabeth Gray and Elizabeth Kay to John Scanlan

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 February 21 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Family search has a record of his death and some family members mentioned they have him as John Scanlon ..I have amended my post with Scanlon with an A  :D ;D

Rosie