Author Topic: Family of Rev. John Lever, son of Sir Darcy lever  (Read 1813 times)

Online Susan Blackstone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Rev. John Lever, son of Sir Darcy lever
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 March 21 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I have found a death announcement in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette 13/10/1842, 'Oct 6 aged 67,  Mary Lever, daughter of the late Rev John Lever, (brother of Sir Ashton Lever) of Alkrington Hall, in the County of Lancaster'.

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 March 21 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Thanks so much for all the details and new info you sent me the other day. Apologies again for the delay. This is very much appreciated.

I knew there was another daughter Mary, just couldn't find her. There appear to be so many strands to Rev John and very few tangible details. I'm trying to find out the progression of his career and where he may have been posted and that way try and find his family. The Lancashire on-line forum is great for the earlier generations but there are no records for John. Only detail of a son, Ashton's burial in 1805 when he was infant, but no other details.

Your new details on the two Mrs Levers in 1806 and 1813 are very intriguing. I'll certainly look into your possible theory of 2 marriages.
Thanks again for your help.

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Online Susan Blackstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 March 21 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I found further information in newspapers on Rev John Lever. 

Manchester Mercury 7th May 1771, 'A Sermon preached at the Assizes held at Lancaster 24th Day of March 1771. Before the Hon Sir Henry Gould, Knt.  One of his Majesty's Justices of the Court of Common Pleas The High Sheriff, and Grand Jury By the Rev John Lever Curate of Buxton and Chaplain to the High Sheriff of Lancashire'.  It seem that the Rev John Lever preached other sermons and these were published as pamphlets.

Rev John Lever is mentioned in the Hampshire Chronicle 10/11/1777.  'The Lord Primate of Ireland has presented the living of Carlingford, worth upwards of 400l. per annum, to the Rev John Lever, brother to Ashton Lever, Esq. of Alkrington, Lancashire'.

I have looked at Irish Newspapers and found a notice for a fund raising event which mentions Rev John Lever in Saunders Letters 12/03/1778.  'Magdalen Asylum.  On Sunday 15th March 1778 a Sermon will be preached in the Chapel of the said Asylum by the Rev John Lever, Vicar of Carlingford'.

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craig, I have looked on Findmypast and found the marriage licence of John Lever and Mary Shaw 1758 and it describes him as a Chapman.  Would this be correct?  Also I found the Baptismal entry for Dorothy Lever at Bowden with a date of 17.2.1760 father John Lever Mr and Mary.  May not be your John Lever.

Susan

Hi Susan,

I don't know whether this is a coincidence but this was included in a quote about John Lever as "of parish and town of Manchester, in diocese of Chester Chapman". Could the Chapman in your quote indicate he was living in the 'Chapman' diocese. It could tie in with Dorothy's baptismal record???

Many thanks for your latest finds. These are a great help.

Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craig, I have looked on Findmypast and found the marriage licence of John Lever and Mary Shaw 1758 and it describes him as a Chapman.  Would this be correct?  Also I found the Baptismal entry for Dorothy Lever at Bowden with a date of 17.2.1760 father John Lever Mr and Mary.  May not be your John Lever.

Susan

Hi Susan,

I don't know whether this is a coincidence but this was included in a quote about John Lever as "of parish and town of Manchester, in diocese of Chester Chapman". Could the Chapman in your quote indicate he was living in the 'Chapman' diocese. It could tie in with Dorothy's baptismal record???

Could "Chapman" be chaplain? Is/was there a parish or place called Chapman?
Cowban

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,

I suppose that could be the case, and it seems a pretty plausible one. I just wish this lockdown was over and I could access the primary sources.

I've also checked for possible baptisms for Mary Lever ["Oct 6, 1842 aged 67, Mary, daughter of the late Rev. John Lever of Alkrington Hall, Lancashire."] in and around 1775 - the only plausible one is.... Mary Lever, daughter of John Lever, born 21 January (bap. St Thomas, Liverpool 10 April) 1775. It doesn't give John's profession, however I know he was Curate at St Peter and St Nicholas, Liverpool and St Thomas, Liverpool from 1 Feb. 1772 to 21 Nov. 1777. A possibility ???

I've had a couple of breakthroughs this morning which has nailed John Lever's 1st ?? marriage.
I found this interesting article https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=W7nRDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT35&lpg=PT35&dq=John+Lever,+Esq.+of+of+Aberford&source=bl&ots=LPft3Z5rYe&sig=ACfU3U0dcRmXQHgYC93exkZ1Q3wSiG32jQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjG2efJpLXvAhW1mFwKHXtAARkQ6AEwBHoECAUQAw#v=onepage&q=John%20Lever%2C%20Esq.%20of%20of%20Aberford&f=false
I mentions in the will of a Margaret Lever or Molesworth of Aberford... Darcy Lever gentleman and John Lever attorney at law both of Aberford.... (who is this Margaret, she must be a relative??). This clinches John's profession as an attorney and the family link to Aberford (some of Darcy's children were baptised there).

I then found in The Monthly Magazine, Issues 61-68, p. 188 ref to the marriage of "At Aberford Mr Lever, attorney, to Miss Wrigglesworth".
Family Search shows the marriage of John Lever aged 27 to Ann Wrigglesworth aged 25 at St Michael Le Belfrey, York 21 July 1800.

Ann must be the Mrs Lever mentioned in the Leeds Intelligence 12.05/1806.  "On Saturday week died, after a severe and lingering indisposition, which she bore with fortitude and resignation, Mrs Lever, wife of John Lever, Esq. of Alkrington Hall, near Middleton, Lancashire, and late of Aberford near this town."

She was buried at St Mary, Prestwich, co. Lancs. 9 May 1806 from the Lancashire Online resource website.

She must have been the mother of Ashton Lever who was buried an infant in 1805. I don't know if she had any other children.

Now also need to find out who the mysterious Mary is from the Lancaster Gazette 11/12/1813.  'On Sunday se'nnight, suddenly, Mary, the wife of John Lever, Esq of Alkrington hall.' ???

Craig

Online Susan Blackstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the marriage licence of John Lever.  I also was wondering whether who ever wrote out the details had misheard and written Chapman instead of Chaplain.  I could not find a parish name Chapman in the Diocese of Chester.  I have noticed looking at marriage licences of my ancestors the occupation is usually entered. Also usually attached to this form is the bond form with the name of the person acting as guarantor.  Although the image showed an attachment I was unable to find it.

Susan

Online Susan Blackstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 March 21 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I have found two marriages which may be of help.

Lancaster Gazette 2/2/1811.  On Monday se'nnight.  Mr. John Spingett of Bradford to Mary Isabella Lever of Alkrington daughter of Darcy Lever Esq of Bolton and niece to John Lever Esq of Alkrington Hall in this County.

Lancaster Gazette 27/6/1812.  On the 11th inst.  John Lever Esq of Alkrington near Manchester to Miss Brown daughter of the late John Brown Esq of Heightington near Lincoln.

Online Susan Blackstone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 March 21 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I have found the marriage of Dorothy Lever in the Leeds Intelligence 23/5/1803.  On Sunday se'nnight was married, Peter Rasbotham, Esq. of Birch House, in Cheshire, to Miss Lever niece of the late Ashton Lever of Alkrington.

Her death appeared in the Yorkshire Gazette 23/6/1827.  On Tuesday, the 12th inst aged 60, Dorothy wife of Peter Rasbotham, Esq. of Alkrington Cottage, Middleton, Lancashire, niece of the late Sir Ashton Lever of Alkrington Hall and sister of Darcy Lever, Esq, of Monkhill near Pontefract.

Also in the Bolton Chronicle 30/5/1835 is another Death Notice.  On the 15th inst, Frances, wife of Archibald Watson Goldie, Esq. of York Place, Edinburgh, and daughter of Darcy Lever Esq of Alkrington Hall, Lancashire.