Author Topic: Thomas Monk Boatbuilder 1765-1843 Burial Information Dudley Borough Cemetery  (Read 520 times)

Offline yjm

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Tyte 1815-1891
    • View Profile
Thomas Monk Boatbuilder 1765-1843 Burial Information Dudley Borough Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 17 February 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys, I am currently updating my research on my 4 x Great Grandfather Thomas Monk. I have lots of information on his business ventures on the canals, and have just sent for his death certificate from the GRO.

I was hoping to find more information on his burial and perhaps a photograph of his headstone as I feel sure that as a successful businessman of the area he would have had one, but I am confused  ???

I have found references that state he died on 3rd August 1843 in Tipton and was buried at St Thomas's Churchyard Dudley on 8th August 1843 and found Malcolm Platt-Griggs MI list, but the Monk family are listed under the heading of:-

List of Bodies taken from St Thomas's and re-buried in the Borough Cemetery

91.Headstone and footstone to two graves,91 and 92.
Joseph MONK (Jun.) June 6th,1822/Thomas MONK August 2nd,1843/Sarah MONK January 9th,1854/Thomas MONK (Jun.) September 24th,1858/Sarah MONK March 14th,1855.

92.Matilda MONK August 30th,1828/George MONK August 8th,1859/William MONK March 23rd,1812/Sarah Ann MONK May 21st,1814/Also son - name unreadable April 17th,1821.

I think the list is numerical so numbers 91 and 92 are not related to grave plot numbers.

Can anyone shed any light onto why they might have been moved and are there any "friends of" the Borough Cemetery that may have grave photos or further information.

Kind Regards Eve

TYTE - Clock makers, Grocers - Somerset, Surrey
PLENTY, CURTIS - Millers, Yeoman Farmers - Somerset
MONK - Boatbuilders - Staffordshire, Worcestershire
MILLS - Sawyers, Joiners, Hackney Cab Proprietors - Warwickshire, London, Surrey