Author Topic: Avast  (Read 607 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Avast
« on: Thursday 18 February 21 08:24 GMT (UK) »
I downloaded the avast anti-virus program.  Installation took an age, but has not left a short cut on the desktop screen.  The avast folder contains numerous EXE files: which one should I click on to run the program or to create a short cut?

My computer runs under Windows XP.  Please don't tell me to update to a later version!  I'd go back to Windows 98 if it were an option.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Avast
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 21 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Could your ancient computer be like mine (also XP)?
Raised 2fingers at me as my current Norton not supported on XP.
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 21 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Avast is no longer supported for Windows XP. However it should still work and should still receive virus definition updates but will not receive any program updates.

There should be no need to run anything yourself. After installation and reboot, Avast should appear in the system tray where it will run in the background. If you need to do something manually, you can right-click over the system tray icon and choose from the options - run a scan, check the quarantine, etc.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 21 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Angus.
I've only just noticed it in the system tray.
However, right-clicking doesn't bring up any options.

Perhaps I should be using some other anti-virus program instead?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 21 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Hugh, no help at all but might cheer you up—-
Round The Horn or The Navy Lark
—-“ Avast - avast behind!”
“ You talking’ about me again!”
Viktoria.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 21 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I should be using some other anti-virus program instead?

You'll be lucky to find any that will still work on XP.

Does left click on the Avast icon in the system tray do anything? If not, try the Start menu - can you find Avast in there?

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 21 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Viktoria.  There are several shaped like that living nearby.

The dictionary tells me that avast is a corruption of the Dutch "houd vast" = hold fast.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Also” Vasthouden,”and also  “houvast “ or houjevast ,but that is probably Flemish dialect.