Author Topic: Lewis Davidson & Janet Walker m 23.05.1830 Udny, Aberdeenshire  (Read 619 times)

Offline Davo59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lewis Davidson & Janet Walker m 23.05.1830 Udny, Aberdeenshire
« on: Thursday 18 February 21 09:00 GMT (UK) »
I have an anomaly with the above couple who are one lot of my maternal great great grandparents and specifically Janet Walker. I am unable to find a birth record for Janet. All census documents from 1841 to 1881 state that she was born in Peterhead. Her death entry (DOD 23.07.1888) from Scotlands People state she died in Peterhead and was aged 91. Therefore Year of birth abt 1797. Birth years on the census ranged from 1806 in the 1841 census to 1796 in 1851 and in between for 1861;1871 and 1881. Also on her death record parents are stated to be Alexander Walker and Janet Thomson. Informant was Alexander Robb her Son In Law.
Janet had a sister Margaret Robb who I cannot locate a birth record for as well. Again said to be born in Peterhead. Her death record DOD 23.03.1866 states she was 72 (Born abt 1794) Parents Alexander Walker and Janet Thomson. Informant was Margaret's son Alexander Robb. Margaret had married John Robb in Peterhead in 1821. Alexander Robb a widower married his cousin Elisa Davidson (daughter of Janet) in 1881 and so is the informant in the death of his mother Margaret and Aunt (Mother in Law) Janet Walker.
Alexander Walker and Janet Thomson had 2 other children John b 1791 and Jane b 1793 both in Longside. (Alexander and Janet married in Longside in 1791 prior to the birth of John) I have their baptism records to confirm births. Lewis Davidson was also born in Longside. All Lewis's and Janet's children were born in Longside.
The anomaly is this. Why did Lewis and Janet get married in Udny (The marriage record for Lewis and Janet stated 'of this parish'), when all indications are that the Davidson's and the Walkers were in Longside / Peterhead? All online trees appear to have Alexander Walker and Janet Thomson as the parents of Janet and Margaret no doubt based on the information from their death entries on Scotlands People.
To add to the mystery there was a Janet b 1802 and Margaret b 1799 to James Walker and Jean Whyte (White) in Udny and a Janet b 1804 and Margaret b 1800 to George Walker & Janet Whyte (White) also in Udny.
 I have had a look at Janet and Margaret born to James Walker and Jean Whyte and cannot seem to locate marriage or death records for them. I still have to look at Janet and Margaret born to George Walker and Janet Whyte.
At this stage just looking for anyone's thoughts and suggestions for further research and also of course perhaps I have overlooked something. Sorry for the length of this post
Thanks David

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis Davidson & Janet Walker m 23.05.1830 Udny, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 21 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Birth years on the census ranged from 1806 in the 1841 census to 1796 in 1851 and in between for 1861;1871 and 1881.
Remember that the original census never actually states a year of birth. People were asked what age they were, and it's not unusual for ages to be inconsistent from one ceneus to the next. And in 1841 adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years.

Unfortunately the baptism records for Peterhead do not seem to have been kept very regularly around the turn of the18th/19th century - lots of baptisms appear to be missing. It looks as if Alexander and Janet may have moved from Longside between the births of Jane and Margaret, and the subsequent baptisms, in Peterhead, were just not properly recorded.

The anomaly is this. Why did Lewis and Janet get married in Udny (The marriage record for Lewis and Janet stated 'of this parish'), when all indications are that the Davidsons and the Walkers were in Longside / Peterhead?
Were she and Lewis perhaps both working in Udny at the time? If so they would have been 'of this parish' at the time of the marriage. Often a young woman would return to her parents' home to be married, if it wasn't too far away, but if her parents were no longer living she would get married in her employer's house, or in the manse.

If all the censuses, and the death certificates, agree that Janet was born in Peterhead, and the names of her parents according to her and her sister's death certificate agree, I don't think there is any reason to imagine that she might have been anyone other than the daughter of Alexander Walker and Janet Thomson.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Davo59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 21 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I did wonder if I might of been over thinking the all the evidence with Janet Walker. I will leave Alexander and Janet Thomson as her parents.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 21 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I too have Lewis Davidson & Janet Walker in my tree. My notes say that they were "in this parish" & not "of this parish" which does indicate they were not born there. I see nothing unusual in them being married in Udny, Lewis was 26 years old, and most agricultural labourers moved up to twice a year in their jobs. Remember that the baptisms in the OPR's are from the Established Church of Scotland & the Walker's may have been members of another church. Also the records may not have survived.
I am descended from Anne Davidson & John Thomson. Anne was the daughter of Lewis Davidson (Senior) & Margaret Birnie, & therefore a sister-in-law of Janet.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Davo59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 21 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for the further clarification. The marriage record does indeed say 'in this parish' - sorry my mistake. Not being from Scotland I didn't realise that agricultural labourers could move up to twice a year in their jobs. Glad I posted my query as I have learnt something new from both replies I have received.
My grandmother was Jessie Ann Davidson b 11.02.1879 Strichen a daughter of William Davidson and Jane/Jean Anderson. William was a son of Lewis Jnr. and Janet Walker.
Regards
David

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 21 17:44 GMT (UK) »
David, this is an interesting read & will help you get an idea of how your ancestors lived. http://www.northeastscotlandroots.com/the-feed-farm-labourer-2/
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Davo59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 21 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. What a great resource for all things North East Scotland. I have now have an inkling of why Bruce Robertson my maternal grandfather emigrated to New Zealand from Aberdeenshire. Jessie Ann Davidson must have followed because they married here in New Zealand.
Thank you
David