Author Topic: Help on what would govren which regiment you went into ...  (Read 123 times)

Offline Kate_genedetective

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help on what would govren which regiment you went into ...
« on: Thursday 18 February 21 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
I am not very experienced in military history - I am wandering if anyone has any knowledge of why people might join a certain regiment and also is there any documentation on where these regiments were based? We are talking mid 1800s here...

I have one of the relatives - Walter Craig, in the 43rd Regiment in the 1850s/ 60s.
Looking this up, it was the Monmouthshire Regiment of Foot at the time  - and I intriged to know why he would have been in this regiment as geographically it does not make sense - he was born in northumberland, and then pops up as a private in the 43rd in Kent at his marriage in 1856 in Chatham, Kent and (his new wife lives no where near this), and then I have him in India on the military 1861 census (which fits with the history of where the regiment was on Wiki)

Does anyone have any ideas??
thanks!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help on what would govren which regiment you went into ...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 21 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I think it may depend as to which regiments were recruiting at the time in nearby towns
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 21 11:12 GMT (UK) »
All the regiments moved around the home islands on a regular basis and the depot companies recruited wherever they were stationed. You can check the contemporary newspapers for the locations in "Stations of the British Army " which were widely published on a monthly basis. Just on a quick search I can see that the depot company of the 43rd was based in Chatham in August 1854.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 21 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello, thanks! thats really interesting!
So the "station" of the regiment was like a depot base I gather which would be their current home base and possibly also the regiments headquaters (but not always looking at wiki).
I know Chatham was/is a Naval dock yard but looks like it was also a barracks for the army too.
That totally explains why Walter and his wife got married in Chatham - he was obviously based there at the time, I wander if the witness' to the wedding were fellow soliders (I don't recognise their names)

will have a google on Army stations of the 43rd - you say worth looking at papers too?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 21 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I guess looking at the muster rolls might also give more info on walter - although looks like will need a trip to the national archives for that! (as some point in the distant future... )

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 21 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Chatham has been a major Royal Navy base for over 100 years,  simultaneously its been home to the Royal Engineers.