Author Topic: Jane (Aiken) Moore, Thomas Moore, of Waterville, Maine  (Read 686 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Jane (Aiken) Moore, Thomas Moore, of Waterville, Maine
« on: Thursday 18 February 21 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a death notice or obituary for Jane "Jennie" (Aiken) Moore, born in Ireland about 1870. She is listed in the 1939 Waterville, Maine, City Directory with some of her children at 5 Belmont Ave. She is not in the household in 1940.

Also for her husband, Thomas Wilson Moore, born in Ireland about 1870. He is listed twice in 1910, once with his family in Waterville and once boarding in Albion, Maine. I haven't found him after that. Jennie is not listed as a widow in the 1925 Waterville Directory but is listed as such in 1927.

I have just about all the records I need for this couple and their children, at least for now, except for anything that will pinpoint their death dates. Thank you.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Jane (Aiken) Moore, Thomas Moore, of Waterville, Maine
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »

Sadly had no luck so far trying to find either obit.  :-\

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the effort. I knew people were trying since it had a lot of views.

Could you look for a Thomas Beatty Aiken/Eiken? He is last seen in Portland, Maine, in 1930, but might have lived longer. He was born about 1873 or so. He was a theater manager in Portland.

I'm pretty sure he is Jane's brother - he listed her as next of kin on the WWI Draft. And one of her children's birth records said her maiden name was Beattie, not Aiken. Mistakes sometimes tell you a lot.

Based on the Beatty in both names and an almost exact match on Jane's DOB, I'm almost positive their parents were John Aiken and Angelina Beatty of Billary Townland, near Pettigoe, Donegal. There was a Thomas in that family as well.

I tried the Waterville Library for the obit, and they referred me to Colby College, who has the microfilm, but the obits aren't indexed. So right now I am waiting to hear from the Waterville City Clerk to find out what they need from me to get a death record.

I will post the update.

-- Ed H

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 17:57 GMT (UK) »
PS. There is a Jane Moore, died 1939, buried in Mt Pleasant Cemetery, Augusta ME. 
That's a bit far to go to be buried, unless her children buried her with her brother, so Thomas might have died in Augusta.
Jane and her husband were divorced by 1920, so unlikely she is buried with him, but, while typing, I realized I should consider that possibility too.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Aiken/Thomas B. Aiken is in the Portland city directories through 1933.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I thought he might be.
The problem is I did this family once but I didn't keep the records, so I am going partly by memory and partly by what I am now recording.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 March 21 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Update. I sent for the death record from Maine's Division of Health.

Jennie A (Aiken) Moore died February 12, 1940 at the Sister's Hospital in Waterville, Maine. She had been in the hospital for 2 weeks and in Waterville for 52 years.
Birth date given as Jan 17, 1873.
her usual residence was 5 Belmont Ave. Informant her daughter Ruth.
Cause of death: chronic myocardial degeneration, duration 20 years.
parents: John Aiken and Angelina Beatty, both born in Ireland.

---------
So I had guessed at the correct family in Donegal, which is good. The year of birth is off by 3 years, but Jane heself consistently said "1870" while she was alive and head of  a household. The month and date are off by 8 days. I don't know how quickly C of Ireland baptize their children - maybe Jan 17 was her baptism date, or maybe she just didn't know.

---------
I'm not too worried about an obit or death notice now, about all it would tell me is the cememtery and if my friend for whom I am doing this does want to know, I can get it from the Maine State Library (or so Colby College says).

--------
Thanks to all for their help and effort. I'm going to post a question  on the Donegal board looking for her father's death and will cross reference them when I do.

edited to add
here is the link to the query on the Donegal forum
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=846183

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 March 21 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Great you got the reply you wanted - fantastic result.  :)

I kept going back to this record originally,  still wondering if someone has the year of death wrong ?
Throwing it into the equation ???

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/172437120/jennie-moore

Sandra

Oops you added that earlier in the thread  :-\
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 March 21 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Great you got the reply you wanted - fantastic result.  :)

I kept going back to this record originally,  still wondering if someone has the year of death wrong ?
Throwing it into the equation ???

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/172437120/jennie-moore

Sandra

Oops you added that earlier in the thread  :-\
Yeah, I can't put her in Augusta. Her brother was in Portland in 1933 last I knew. Two children that died before her were buried in Waterville, one of them in Pine Grove Cem., which is where I suspect she is.