Author Topic: Latest portrait: Who is the sitter?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline artlover123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Latest portrait: Who is the sitter?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 February 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all!

So what we know is that Capt. Colin Campbell died in 1842 was from Spa, Gloucester, married in Somerset 1823 and that the marriage details on the reverse of the picture refer to his son Capt. John Campbell. Has anyone come across his date of birth, his life story, or family tree?

Many thanks again,

(Sorry if I missed anything above, was hard piecing the various posts together)

Joshua

PS. I did succeed in the auction on this one yes, I think its a rather marvellous thing visually but would love to know more about the man in the picture and even how he met James Ramsay, as far as I can see there is no record of this picture but then again there is no expert on the artist from what I can see, despite being somewhat well known. Thanks again.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 February 21 22:35 GMT (UK) »
As Captain Colin Campell RN was born in Scotland

Could this be him, they do state died 1851 but this could be an error.

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/archive/objects/510520.html

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 February 21 23:36 GMT (UK) »
But that one was a rear admiral in the finish.  They would have surely put that on the obit of our one. The trouble is there are at least three and perhaps four  Naval Colin Campbells I have found so far.

Also, There is only the one son John mentioned in his will.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 February 21 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Sadly on this death annoucement in the Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette on 10 October 1842 no mention is made of his birthplace

Kay

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 February 21 03:00 GMT (UK) »
and there was one notice that said he was 73, and another that said 70.
GRO ref says he was 70

Offline artlover123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 February 21 14:49 GMT (UK) »
How confounding! If only our ancestors were better documented

Offline Malcolm419

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 02:44 GMT (UK) »
This is a great portrait and a great find - congratulations to the buyer!  I don't have the answer to the sitter's origin, only a clue - might he be the naval Captain Colin Campbell referred to in the following obituary of Captain Robert Campbell of the Bombay Army, published in Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, February 1821 (vol. 8, p. 601)?  This Colin Campbell is NOT the Rear-Admiral Colin Campbell of Ardpatrick mentioned earlier in this thread; Rear-Admiral Colin was of the well-documented and wealthy Shawfield Campbells. The sitter is also emphatically NOT Field-Marshall Colin Campbell, later Lord Clyde, with whom the auctioneers seem to have him confused.  If the sitter is the brother of Captain Robert of the Bombay Army, his origins remain obscure.  There's nothing in the public records of either Robert or the other surviving brother, Major John Campbell, indicating their parentage.

Major John Campbell settled as a planter in Jamaica (owning estates at Belgar and Lucky Hill in the parish of St Thomas in the Vale), following his war injuries.  He appoints his brother, Captain Colin Campbell of the Royal Navy, as one of his executors in a will made in 1832.  Major John (promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel in his retirement) dies in 1835; his will is among the PCC wills available on ancestry.

I'd be delighted if any of this rings any bells which could point of the parentage of this "band of brothers". 

Offline slmdem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 June 21 14:54 BST (UK) »
Following extensive ONLINE research, and considerable untangling of all the many individuals of the same names who lived at that time, a summary of the principal data found for these "Band of Seven Brothers" (the first 4 being as yet unknown) is as follows:-

(5) Capt. Colin Campbell, Royal Navy (c.1776-1842), retired RN 1814, lived at Brunswick House, Gloucester,
married (1st) 1802 (London), Amelia PATERSON (1783-1808), dau. of Daniel PATERSON (London), had an only child,

Capt. John Campbell, HEICS (1804-1884), married 1831, Jane Smith STONE (1796-1885), no 
       issue;

married (2nd) 1823 (Walcot, Somerset), Elmira PAGE (c.1774-1843), widow of Lt.-Gen. Richard GORE, no issue.

(6) Lt.-Col. John Campbell, 55th Regt., (c.1780-1832), half-pay 1818, lived at Belgar, Jamaica (coffee plantation),
married 1808 (Exeter), Anne ROWLAND, dau. of Edward ROWLAND (Liverpool), had issue (who all lived and died in Jamaica),

1.- John Charles Campbell (1809-1854), married Louisa Samuels (surname unknown))
   2.- Edward Colin Campbell (1813- ?)

(7) Capt. Robert Campbell, 9th N.I., HEICS (c.1782-1820), Barrack-master at Surat, India,
married 1819 (Edinburgh), Jane CAMPBELL (c.1793-1852 at Saughton Hall Mental Asylum, Edinburgh) *SEE NOTE BELOW*, dau. of Archibald CAMPBELL, writer (Edinburgh) [see "The Scots Peerage", Campbell of Breadalbane], had an only child,

Archibald (1820-1820), died infant in Bombay

NOTE :- There is an important error in "Records of clan Campbell in the military service of the honourable East India Company 1600-1858", which has been subsequently repeated in many pedigrees online, indicating that Jane Campbell married Capt. Robert Campbell (died 1840) of Ardchattan; this has now been proved to be INCORRECT (see proofs in the family tree mentioned below).

The complete family tree (named CAMPBELL) of the above, with all the proofs attached, can be found on Ancestry – when researching the "Profile" for an individual, please click on "GALLERY" to find all the items of evidence, and in particular download the WORD file named for that individual, in which will be found many screenshots from online sources that considerably expand our knowledge of their lives (e.g. there is a fascinating eyewitness account of Capt. Robert in a field hospital at Bergen op Zoom in 1814 after being wounded by grapeshot).

Frustratingly, apart from the fact that the England Census 1841 indicates that Capt. Colin was born in Scotland, and that Capt. Robert was married in Scotland, no link has yet been found to any family there. Some clue to their origins might be found by deeper research into their individual service records. If anyone can provide any further details of the family of these "Magnificent Seven", do please post here.

Offline slmdem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 June 21 13:00 BST (UK) »
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FGREP%2FNAVY%2F00530117

Register of Captains, Commanders & Lieutenants applying for Greenwich Hospital out-pensions

An interesting commentary for Capt. Colin Campbell, giving his age in 1835, some details of his service, his present health, and reference once again to the "Band of Seven Brothers".