Author Topic: DNA Family Secrets  (Read 2763 times)

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Family Secrets
« on: Thursday 18 February 21 16:03 GMT (UK) »
i  have been told that a program DNA Family Secrets is coming up shortly  i think its on bbc2 anyone know when this is to be aired

thank you
                                                       harrywrag

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Family Secrets
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 21 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 21 16:17 GMT (UK) »
thank you Rosie  :)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 21 12:35 GMT (UK) »

Looking forward to watching this.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 March 21 15:21 GMT (UK) »
What did everyone think of this programme?
I enjoyed it, particularly since being on the BBC there were no adverts, also it didn’t have endless recaps to pad it out.
I haven’t done a DNA test and don’t really know very much about it but I felt the expert explained the basics well.
Interesting that as well as the parentage cases they were also trying to find out if Huntington’s disease had been passed down a family.
I did feel for both men who were looking for their fathers, what a lot they had to understand and process. DNA is certainly no fairytale ending.
The American GI history was interesting too, I learnt a lot.
Definitely worth watching.
Looking forward to the next one.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 March 21 15:33 GMT (UK) »

I was convinced that the two men with beards were related!

The one who was looking for his biological father looked completely nonplussed when they showed him the photo of the man they thought was his father...

Interesting program though.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 March 21 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I enjoyed the programme but there was one thing with the bearded man that niggled me.

He spoke positively of the man who brought him up, who he had thought was his father. Well, I understand that some people (not all) want to find out who their genetic parent is if they find out it's not who they thought; but after his news, he looked so lost. I wanted to say to him, Hey, don't forget the man who actually brought you up and was a father to you! He may not have been genetically related but you are the person you are thanks at least in part to him!

I hope and imagine that participants in the programme are suitably counselled about this sort of thing.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 March 21 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I enjoyed the programme but there was one thing with the bearded man that niggled me.

He spoke positively of the man who brought him up, who he had thought was his father. Well, I understand that some people (not all) want to find out who their genetic parent is if they find out it's not who they thought; but after his news, he looked so lost. I wanted to say to him, Hey, don't forget the man who actually brought you up and was a father to you! He may not have been genetically related but you are the person you are thanks at least in part to him!

I hope and imagine that participants in the programme are suitably counselled about this sort of thing.

I also enjoyed the programme, but felt sorry for the bearded man.  He was prompted to take the test after being contacted by the other mans father, saying he thought he was his father as he had had a relationship with his mother. The results dealt a double blow, not only was the man he thought was his father wasn't, but the man who thought he was his father wasn't his father either, and probable father no3 had died a long time ago! If he hadn't have been contacted he may never have taken a DNA test and would have continued to live in blissful ignorance, but now the hornets nest has been kicked leaving outstanding questions for him and, probably, his sister as well.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 March 21 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I was thoroughly absorbed for the entire hour.

The GI's son and his wife met the presenter at a pub only 10 minutes from my house. Love seeing places I know on the box. A well run place with good beer and live music.

The two bearded gents look like they will remain friends even after it turned out they are not brothers. If so something good will have come from the revelations.

Only downside for me was the voice and accent of the presenter. Didn't know who she was. This is the BBC. Poor Lord Reith must be spinning!

Next Wednesday 10th March ITV have 'DNA Journey' with Freddie Flintoff and Jamie Redknapp. I will give this a look but fear there will be too much horsing about for my taste.

Nice though to see our subject covered on prime time TV. We are surely due some WDYTYA even if only repeats.

Tony.
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.