Author Topic: DNA Family Secrets  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Family Secrets
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 March 21 11:28 GMT (UK) »
I felt very uncomfortable about the bearded man, and I really hope he had some counselling afterwards. His whole view of his family had been thrown up in the air - not only was his father not his birth father, but his mother had apparently had more than one extra marital affair. I hope the coincidence of the beards didn't influence the programme makers when they chose to use this case. I thought it was quite unethical to use it.
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 March 21 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I suppose that when they choose the participants, they can't know at that point what the testing will show.

But I suspect that the bearded man would have stayed happier in a parallel universe where he'd never heard of DNA testing ----
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 March 21 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Might have missed this - but what made the man think he was the biological father in the first place?

As it turned out, the two men got on well, but it could have turned so badly wrong.

Just trying to imagine how I would feel getting a communication like that out of the blue. What about the sister? (or half-sister) What happened to her?

FS

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 March 21 11:23 GMT (UK) »
The format is pretty much the same as Long Lost Family on ITV. However they both have presenters who I hate (for different reasons).

Davina McCall (Long Lost Family) is far too gushing. "Look at ME! I'M the one doing ALL this! Make sure you get good footage of me EMPATHISING!"

Stacey Dooley (DNA Family Secrets) has a horrendous, grating, voice. She managed to tone it down considerably during her run on Strictly Come Dancing, but seems to have bounced back to an even more annoying level.

Wednesday sees the start of another "pre-planned genealogy" series, DNA Journey on ITV. Jamie Redknapp & Freddie Flintoff are the celebs in the first episode, wandering around in the same manner as Ant & Dec a couple of years ago.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 March 21 13:02 GMT (UK) »

Nice though to see our subject covered on prime time TV. We are surely due some WDYTYA even if only repeats.

Tony.

BBC iPlayer is repeating  WDYTYA series 12-17 for the next 11 months if you get desperate  ;D

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 March 21 13:13 GMT (UK) »

Nice though to see our subject covered on prime time TV. We are surely due some WDYTYA even if only repeats.

Tony.

BBC iPlayer is repeating  WDYTYA series 12-17 for the next 11 months if you get desperate  ;D

Jenny

Thanks Jenny,

I'm going to run out of lockdown to do things in!  ;D

Tony.
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 March 21 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I know, could have done with this at the start of January when it was too cold to go out

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 March 21 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Might have missed this - but what made the man think he was the biological father in the first place?

I don't think that was mentioned.  Perhaps he just knew he'd had an affair around the appropriate time.  He might have been right, it seems the "son" and his sister didn't have the same father according to DNA, but it turned out it his father wasn't the man who started the hunt in the first place.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 March 21 17:23 GMT (UK) »
What wasn’t explained was how they knew the first bearded man had a different father, surely it could have been his sister that had an unknown father. The DNA test clearly proved they had different fathers but it didn’t explain how they knew it was him and not her.

The programme was edited to give the assumption purely on the phone call the man received from the other bearded man’s father.

We know his sister must have matched with known cousins but the program skipped over that bit.