Author Topic: Neandertals DNA may disclose one vunerability to Covid -research  (Read 779 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Neandertals DNA may disclose one vunerability to Covid -research
« on: Friday 19 February 21 08:51 GMT (UK) »
It seems that Neanderthals may have had a haplotype that made them vulnerable to the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
See - https://www.pnas.org/content/118/9/e2026309118 for the research details details
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Neandertals DNA may disclose one vunerability to Covid -research
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 21 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes... and no.

The headline of the article Guy has linked to is (my italics) "A genomic region associated with protection against severe COVID-19 is inherited from Neandertals"

The abstract includes this sentence: "In contrast to the previously described Neandertal haplotype that increases the risk for severe COVID-19, this Neandertal haplotype is protective against severe disease." I haven't read the whole paper, but this seems to be saying that if you get Covid, having some Neandertal DNA isn't necessarily a bad thing (which is what might previously have been suggested).
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 21 14:24 GMT (UK) »
I read about this a few days ago and I too understood it to mean those with Neanderthal DNA might have more resistance to Covid than those without.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 21 15:34 GMT (UK) »
That's how I'd interpreted the information, too. Enhanced resistance.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 21 16:04 GMT (UK) »

According to the 23andme DNA Site, I have quite a high proportion of Neanderthal
DNA, (2%) which is more than 74% of other people who’ve tested on that Site.

Having read this paper, I’ve interpreted it to mean that I possibly have a higher resistance to COVID 19?

Luckily, I’ve already had the Pfizer Vaccine though!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 21 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Whist not disputing what other forum members have mentions they seem to have overlooked the following:-
"Recently, it was shown that a haplotype in a region on chromosome 3 is associated with becoming critically ill upon infection with the novel severe acute respiratory coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) (19) and was contributed to modern humans by Neandertals (20). Each copy of this haplotype approximately doubles the risk of its carriers requiring intensive care when infected by SARS-CoV-2. It reaches carrier frequencies of up to ∼65% in South Asia and ∼16% in Europe, whereas it is almost absent in East Asia. Thus, although this haplotype is detrimental for its carriers during the current pandemic, it may have been beneficial in earlier times in South Asia (21), perhaps by conferring protection against other pathogens, whereas it may have been eliminated in East Asia by negative selection."

When I read the full PDF article I came to the conclusion the Haplotype on chromosome 12 (the one most here seem to be commenting on) is responsible for the lower risk for those of us outside of Africa but the Haplotype on chromosome 3 is the one which affects mainly those in South Asia and Europe increasing the risks of severe infection.
There are other chromosomes involved not just the main two I have mentioned and I readily admit this is a very simplistic summing up of a complex study.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 21 21:31 GMT (UK) »
"Scientists discover genetic and immunologic underpinnings of some cases of severe COVID-19 "
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/scientists-discover-genetic-immunologic-underpinnings-some-cases-severe-covid-19

Mark

Offline treedahlia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 21 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Some scientists arrive at complex answers instead of seeing what's glaringly obvious
Sars Covid 2 is called ' Novel' meaning it is new.
More effort could go into. fathoming why young children are not as likely to contract Covid whereas the elderly are more prone to dying
from Covid.
Children in developed countries are
likely to have a stronger immune system due to all the immunisation
shots they receive under 5 years of age.
My two cents worth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 February 21 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Some scientists arrive at complex answers instead of seeing what's glaringly obvious
Sars Covid 2 is called ' Novel' meaning it is new.
More effort could go into. fathoming why young children are not as likely to contract Covid whereas the elderly are more prone to dying
from Covid.

The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine
Evidence Service to support the COVID-19 response

19 October 2020
"What is the role of T cells in COVID-19 infection? Why immunity is about more than antibodies"
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/what-is-the-role-of-t-cells-in-covid-19-infection-why-immunity-is-about-more-than-antibodies/

"Disclaimer: This article has not been peer-reviewed; it should not replace individual clinical
judgement, and the sources cited should be checked. The views expressed in this commentary
represent the views of the authors and not necessarily those of the host institution, the NHS, the
NIHR, or the Department of Health and Social Care. The views are not a substitute for professional medical advice.
"