Author Topic: Mary DOOLAN born c. 1814  (Read 1596 times)

Offline eileenb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mary DOOLAN born c. 1814
« on: Friday 19 February 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Mary Doolan born c. 1814 and transported to Van Diemens Land in 1842 - I have the Australian records.  On arrival, she gave her native place as Westmeath and stated her “father Matthew at Mullingar.”  She also gave her brothers as Matthew, Edward and Patrick. 

I have a baptism (RC)  transcript from findmypast showing Anne Mary Doolan  Baptised ? Mar 1815 at Mullingar, Mother Marcella Neill but the father’s name is blank.  With an English baptism, I would assume  illegitimacy but would this also apply in Ireland?

When transported, Mary Doolan stated that she had a previous conviction for ‘ leaving a child with father.’  The only thing I can imagine is that she was trying to get someone to admit paternity. 
Has anyone any other ideas on this one please?
Hampshire -  Lewis & Mitchell & Hutchins
Lancs - Tattersall & Dillon
Wilts - Vockins, Chapman, Alexander
Fairground Travellers - Dillon Family

Offline patrick_a

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARY DOOLAN BORN C. 1814
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 01:28 GMT (UK) »
There are two entries in the tithe applotment for the parish of Mullingar in 1833. One is for a Dolan in Clown and one for a James Doolin in Rathcolman.
https://www.townlands.ie/westmeath/moyashel-and-maheradermon/mullingar/hopestown/rathcolman/

It could be possible that she was illegitimate, but another possibility is that her father Matthew passed away before she was born. Unfortunately, only the transcription is on the site and there was no original posted. I have seen illegitimate cases where they list the father and the priest write a huge "illegitimate" on the page.
https://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000639812_068

When I read "leaving a child with father" the first thing that came to mind was she was trying to abandon the child and run away. She was convicted for that offense, so you can only imagine that she broke a law. Trying to make a father admit paternity wouldn't be something that would warrant a conviction. Times were different 200 years ago, so you can only give her the benefit of the doubt. Many Irish were sent over to Tasmania for peacefully protesting, but that is not the spin that the English portrayed those who were convicted.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, only the transcription is on the site and there was no original posted. I have seen illegitimate cases where they list the father and the priest write a huge "illegitimate" on the page.
https://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000639812_068

An ancestor has 'This child is a bastard' written across his baptism record. 

Offline eileenb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 10:44 GMT (UK) »

Thank you both for your responses.  That certainly confirms my ideas and I don't think I am going to get much further at the moment!   
Hampshire -  Lewis & Mitchell & Hutchins
Lancs - Tattersall & Dillon
Wilts - Vockins, Chapman, Alexander
Fairground Travellers - Dillon Family