Author Topic: Abstracts of Wills in the National Archives  (Read 206 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abstracts of Wills in the National Archives
« on: Friday 19 February 21 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Whilst checking hints on Ancestry, one came up that led me to this:

Reference:    IR 26/350/264
Description:    Abstract of Will of Richard Drapier of Chelmarsh, Shropshire. Proved in the Court of Hereford.

The image is free (still, at the moment to registered users) to download and probably gives all the pertinent information. But my question is, where could I get a copy of the actual Will?
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abstracts of Wills in the National Archives
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 21 12:29 GMT (UK) »
The records in IR 26 were abstracted for tax purposes. They summarise in a few lines any bequests on which legacy duty was incurred. You can use the Preview Image link to see the extent of each entry before downloading. There may be much else in the will besides.

The original will is at Herefordshire Archives. You can order a copy online for £12, if the service is currently operating.

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/herefordshire-archive-records-centre/wills-search?forename=richard&surname=drapier&parish=&executornames=&from=&to=&submit=Submit#results-search

There are also register copies of these wills on Family Search, but they are locked for access unless you are at an LDS Family History Centre or affiliated library.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 21 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Bookbox. I've taken a look at the Herefordshire site, and there's at least 4 wills and admons of interest. £12 each is a bit steep, though, even if there is a three for the price of four offer  :( I think I will order the Drapier one to start with as he's in my direct line.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 21 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I emailed Herefordshire Archives on Friday, and got a reply back the same day  :o. The Will is now ordered

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 21 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Good news! Many archives are doing all they can to help researchers during the lockdown. Letís hope itís a useful document when it arrives.