Author Topic: where is Ivy Robson in 1939?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where is Ivy Robson in 1939?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 February 21 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Did you consider Eva Robson in 1939 reg?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline TreeEnthusiast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)

The Ivy Robson you are looking for has the dates 1915-1989. There is another Ivy Hutchison (Nee Robson) who lived in Bishop Auckland and that's why there has been some confusion. Phyllis is still alive. Joyce Ingram (nee robson, also known as Joyce Scott) is my nana and died some time back. Hopefully this will help with your search  :)

thank you everyone, for giving me food for thought!

the family - now deceased (?) except for my husband - had the year of 1973 for Ivy's death, so they must have been incorrect, and I am glad you pointed this out for me. Ivy was a rather mysterious person, and the family were very hazy about her.

Phyllis is definitely a girl - that much I do know.

I do not know if all her daughters are deceased, but Marjorie certainly is - she is my husbands mother, and her grave is here in Perth, Australia.

my apologies for not using the term 'register'!

Yes, I did look for Ivy under the name Hutchinson in 1939, but as she was 7 years older than John Wilson Hutchinson, and he was living with his parents then,  I thought it was less likely they were together then.

Since I can't find Joyce Robson or Mary Elizabeth Robson in the 1939 register, I don't know if they married in the UK, or even immigrated after the war. A Joyce Dixon witnessed the marriage of Marjorie to Eric Green in 1955 - this may be her sister Joyce, or it could be someone else - its a common name.

I am hoping that DNA can sort this out! but I am open to your suggestions - most helpful, thank you

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 11:51 GMT (UK) »

there is a family rumour that Ivy had a boyfriend/partner named Alfred. In 1942 an Ivy Robson married Alfred Parker Place. I don't know if this is my Ivy - but the other Ivy Places appear to be accounted for. she married John Hutchinson under her maiden name of Robson - but that may mean nothing.

I can't find Ivy in the 1939 census as Robson or Place. I may have more luck if I knew her birth date though.

any ideas?

Names of living persons removed

An Ivy Place nee Robson appears on the 1939 in Sunderland with a DOB of 1920- so it doesn't sound like your lady does it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello TreeEnthusiast,and welcome to Rootschat.

Hopefully Familysleuth will be back soon to answer your message.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TreeEnthusiast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 March 21 07:48 GMT (UK) »
So sorry Tree Enthusiast but I am unable to send personal messages (although I was able to receive yours)? I think it may be because I am new to this site...so I am hoping you get to see this message.

There is a 1939 census in Newcastle where you will find Ivy and her partner Joe... there are also 2 redacted lines under their names which I think may be children.

I feel like I may have a lot more info here but it may be best to chat... any ideas on how I can message direct would be great!  :)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 March 21 10:41 GMT (UK) »
You can send a Personal Message now  :)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline TreeEnthusiast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 March 21 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  :)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 March 21 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, and Hello also to 'TreeEntheusiast' who has given fantastic information.
We are starting to find out more about the life of Ivy. all these people I am naming are deceased.

Ivy is found living with her husband, Joseph Leslie Oliver in the 1939 Register. She married in 1938. they have two children living with them - redacted. Her daughter, Margery, is probably living with her maternal grandparents Robert and Mary in Wales (1939 register shows another person, redacted, in the household. I may be able to get this name released)

In 1944 she married again, under the name of Robson, to John Wilson Hutchinson. However she appears to have had other children after this marriage, who bear the surname Oliver at birth.

I found a newspaper article (1953) describing very sad conditions - five of her children were taken into care due to neglect. they were apparently living together in one room, with only a candle for light. the ages of the children were 3 to 15 years. this was at a property in Pease St, St. Helens, Bishop Auckland. the article also mentioned that Ivy had borne 10 children altogether, 4 of which had died.

Does anyone have a photo of Pease St, or nearby?

Now the journey begins to name Ivy's children...

thanks everyone for your interest.

Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.