Author Topic: Kimberley, Squier or Squires, Pinchbeck  (Read 559 times)

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kimberley, Squier or Squires, Pinchbeck
« on: Friday 19 February 21 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for anyone who is interested in the Kimberley family of Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire. Mary Ann Kimberley married William Squier (or Squire, Squires, Squiers) in 1822 in Pinchbeck. I would also be interested to correspond with anyone who has knowledge of the village of Pinchbeck.

Harlemsife
Kent. Spendiff
Northumberland.  Bell,Cullen,Noon,Hall

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kimberley, Squier or Squires, Pinchbeck
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 21 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Not extensive knowledge but my paternal great grandmother came from Six Houses Bank ,Pinchbeck.
Her name was Cole, a large family five brothers emigrated to the gold fields of N.S.W. 1855.Farmers.
Bathurst  and  Sofala.
Been to the Church , seen baptism records etc .
Sorry can’t be of more help.There is a website “ Lincolnshire People “ I believe.
One brother Henry Cole emigrated and was a minister in Australia.
He wrote a record of the voyage .
Cheerio ,Viktoria.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 21 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if Mary Ann was the daughter of John and Susanna Kimberley, baptised in Pinchbeck in 1793, but there are some newspaper references:-

Stamford Mercury 5 February 1813
At Pinchbeck, after a lingering illness, borne with truly christian fortitude, Mrs. Kimberley, wife of Mr. John Kimberley, farmer.

Susanna Kimberley, wife of John, buried at Pinchbeck on 23rd January 1813, age 38

Also, Mary Kimberley, wife of John, buried at Pinchbeck on 26th March 1818, age 65

Stamford Mercury 19 December 1828
To be SOLD by AUCTION
IN PINCHBECK
Lot 6. A parcel of Arable Land,bounded by lands of Mr. John West as well North as South and East, and lands of—— Frost West now in the tenure of Mr. John Kimberley, containing..................2 1 18

David

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 21 10:40 GMT (UK) »
A bit of info here;

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Pinchbeck

Marriage;
30 Oct 1817, St Margaret, Quadring
John KIMBERLEY, Widower of Pinchbeck to Sarah CAM, Widow
Witnesses,  Ann CROW/Josh SHOTBOLT

SARAH buried 21 Aug 1845 Pinchbeck age 72, abode Cross Gate and JOHN 14 Aug 1853 age 88

Johns Father JOHN appears to have died age 39 (occp Labourer)

Mother JANE may have remarried to Samuel LAMBERT although the record on FreeREG does not show marital status.
JANE Lambert and was buried 11 May 1826 age 87
And her Husband Samuel 22 Mar 1810 age 73 (a Blacksmith)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 21 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

Yes, that is the right family. I am really looking at Mary Ann Kimberley Squier. She made a quilt that is in the Quilters Guild museum collection, and they have a programme of asking volunteer family historians to find out about the quiltmakers. It seems she led a fairly middle class life, with  a lot of extended family around. there was some connection with the textile industry (if you can call it that), because her father was a weaver, and there were drapers in the family too, so some sources of fabric. So thank you to everyone for adding to her story. Any other information or observations gratefully received.

Harlemswife
Kent. Spendiff

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 February 21 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann's father was a weaver. Does anyone have any ideas what he wove in Lincolnshire around 1800? I assumed wool, but genuki says there was a flax mill. Could it have been linen?
Kent. Spendiff

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 March 21 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Harlem, There was a Flax Mill between Pinchbeck & Surfleet, if you look at the census for 1841 or later many families were listed as Flax workers.

Offline Harlem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 March 21 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Keith. I had also assumed the quilt she made was cotton. Unfortunately the records of the quilt museum collection are unavailable because they are largely on paper and everyone not essential is working from home. When things are back to normal (?) I will ask the curator to check if the quilt has any linen in it. If it has, it might have been woven by her father.
Kent. Spendiff