Author Topic: Jane Roberts, Warrington  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Roberts, Warrington
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 February 21 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

The only other thing I may have found is a 1841 census record at Pownall Fee, Wilmslow which shows Thomas Oakes age 20, Ann Oakes age 20, Mary Oakes age 20. Caroline Oakes age 9 months, and Eliza Oakes age 5.

Tried to find Caroline's birth registration to get mothers maiden name without success.

Seems to me that Thomas probably lost his first wife Ann following the children's birth, and then married Jane but again I am struggling to find records to prove this to be the case.

Alan

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 February 21 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Thornby looks like "sister visitor" in 1861 to me.
So she could be Thomas's sister??

Al I have a Thomas Oakes baptised in Ringway on 29th June 1819 on ancestry, his father Thomas, which is correct and mother Mary Walton

Ringway is very close to Styall, do you think this could be him?

Richard
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 February 21 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Thomas was christened in 1817 according to Ancestry, but there is also a christening of a Mary Oakes on 15 Feb 1822 to Thomas and Mary (also another Mary christened on 17 April 1820). Assume one of these Mary's died.

These details seem to more or less tie in to the 1841 census I found so look promising. If Thomas was christened at Ringway maybe his "wife" Ann also came from that area?

I imagine Sarah Thornby is just a visitor and has no family connection,

Still lots of questions and no real answers.

Alan

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 February 21 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Al,

I've found the 1841 census on ancestry, but it's not very clear.
I've searched the GRO indexes for a birth and death of Caroline up to 1851, but not found anything...
I have found a death of Anne Oakes in the December quarter of 1847, but she's 59. There's one in Stockport aged 19 in 1847 and one in Salford aged 36 in 1848...

Like you say, more questions than answers!!!

Richard
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 February 21 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I've found a marriage for a Thomas Oakes and Mary Walton on May 10th 1819 in Northendon, which isn't that far from Ringway, but it's Lancashire.
What are the chances of it being Thomas's parent's as per his birth in 1817??

Richard

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 February 21 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Seems reasonable to me, Northenden/Sale are very close to Altrincham and just to add to the mix I have found a death of a Mary Ann Oakes Dec Qtr 1848 age 26 Macclesfield District Vol 19 Page 115 - its a bit of a stretch but if it is her perhaps she was "known" as Ann? 

Alan

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 February 21 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan,
I'll have a look for it and see if I can get a copy.

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Al,

I've received the death certificate of Mary Ann Oakes in Macclesfield and it's not her.
She's the wife of Matthew Oakes Stone Mason living at Dangerous corner in Adlington (what a great name).

It seems a shame to waste the certificate though, do you know if there's some site to share it on, if anybody is researching that link.

Richard

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Sorry it didn't work.

If you use the search button and put in "unwanted certificates" you should be able to post a suitable message. Alternatively just post an item on the Cheshire Board.

Alan