Author Topic: Help with word processing please  (Read 439 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with word processing please
« on: Friday 19 February 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I am currently working on an FH document using WPS word processor. I’m assuming it is similar to Word. I can do most things with it but sometimes I come across an issue which totally stumps me. I seem to have ended up with a box to do with inserting fractions which I can’t get rid of whatever I try.
I can get rid of the box from the working document but when I convert to pdf format it is displaying “Type equation here” as per screenshot below. I want to just delete it and move the text up to the top of the page.

Dave🙂
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with word processing please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 21 16:10 GMT (UK) »
If you double click where it says type equation, do you get a box which you can then delete?
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 21 16:19 GMT (UK) »
If you double click where it says type equation, do you get a box which you can then delete?

A box opens with numerous options but I couldn’t seem to find a simple delete option amongst them.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 21 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I've been searching online and all I've found so far is how to add equations to WPS Writer! Frustrating that it's not straightforward. I was hoping that it would work a little like with MS Word. There you click on the border and use the delete key to delete the box. I'll have another look later, as I'm about to head out for the evening. Hope you get to the bottom of this soon and get it sorted.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 21 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I've been searching online and all I've found so far is how to add equations to WPS Writer! Frustrating that it's not straightforward. I was hoping that it would work a little like with MS Word. There you click on the border and use the delete key to delete the box. I'll have another look later, as I'm about to head out for the evening. Hope you get to the bottom of this soon and get it sorted.

Many thanks for your help. I had another look at the box and there was a tiny symbol attached to the top left corner of it. Right clicking on that brought up a few options, including “cut” which deleted it as per your suggestion.

Dave :)

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 21 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes! Pleased for you - it's so frustrating, but satisfying when you sort it!