Author Topic: Help needed with (German?) memorial at Preston Cemetery, North Shields  (Read 2156 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed with (German?) memorial at Preston Cemetery, North Shields
« on: Friday 19 February 21 17:01 GMT (UK) »
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/207844021/i-zeno-emele

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help with finding out more about this memorial in Preston Cemetery, North Shields?

I add images to Find A Grave (hopefully for the benefit of other family historians)  and I have this one which I think might be German.  I do not understand the language but at the top of the memorial there appears to be his birth and death dates.

23 April 1873 - 15 August 1891

On the memorial it looks like his name is 'I. Zeno Emele'.  If you click on images and then on 'View original' the images will enlarge and become clearer.

However, looking on Freebmd his name appears to be Johann Ludwig E, Emele death registered September quarter 1891.

Why might his name appear different?

Can anyone shed any light on this grave, please?  Anything I could add to a bio for this person to help explain things? Thank you for reading.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with (German?) memorial at Preston Cemetery, North Shields
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 21 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick reply so that I can find this again. I read it as I. Zeug Emele which doesn't make any sense as Zeug means stuff and wondered if I. meant 1st. I tried looking for Military ranks but nothing seemed to match. I'll have a think again tomorrow.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 21 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Manukarik for this quick reply - I would certainly appreciate any further thoughts tomorrow.
On Find A Grave you are supposed to record name as you see it. However, it is confusing that his name appears to be different to what I think must be his registered one.  Very puzzling? ???
I wonder if anyone might be able to translate full inscription so I can add on Find A Grave, please?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 21 17:40 GMT (UK) »
The burial transcription on FamilySearch records his place of death as Austria which clearly is not right. Presumably that was his abode. A sailor perhaps?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NPCM-PQ9
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 21 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this Shaun.
Now that is very puzzling.  Why would he be brought all the way from Austria to be buried at North Shields? 
Also it gives his death date as the 16th but it looks like 15th on the memorial.  It would appear he was buried only two days after death then, according to FamilySearch.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 21 17:57 GMT (UK) »
The language is German.

The inscription says “Geb. zu Graz” plus the date.  Geb is short for geboren (born). He was born in Graz (Austria). Gestorb means died, plus the date.

I can’t really make out the first 2 words of the second inscription. Second word might be bewert (that means assess)  but the rest looks like “…von den deinen hohe sauft im fremde erde.” That sort of translates as “…your high drinks in strange earth”. (I wonder if it’s a quotation from a German poem or suchlike?).  A tribute to someone who was buried in foreign soil, I suppose.
Elwyn

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 February 21 18:11 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can tell
the top of the inscription after his name says
Geb. (abbreviation of Geboren) zu Graz 23 April 1873
Born to Graz 23 April 1873
Graz is in Austria

Gestorben am 15 Aug 1891
died on 15 Aug 1891

I'm struggling to make out the characters in the first line at the bottom

the last line seems to say
ruhe sanft in fremder erde
rest gently in strange earth

Boo,  in partnership with Google translate :-)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 21 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Nothing found in the newspaper archive in Aug 1891 for the name Emele.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 21 18:49 GMT (UK) »
"Tief beweint von den Deinen"
beweinen = to cry for, or to mourn,
Deinen = (literally) Yours, so in this context it means something like : your family, your loved ones, etc.
so something like
"Deeply mourned by all who loved you"

"Ruhe sanft in fremder Erde" 
"Rest softly /gently in foreign soil"
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)