Author Topic: Help with Manche Catholic records (France)  (Read 1247 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with Manche Catholic records (France)
« on: Friday 19 February 21 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

All of the Manche department’s Catholic records are online and viewable from 1804 to 1880, but I’m really struggling to understand them, as the writing is often so faint, and I sometimes can’t make out the words. The civil records have proved much easier to decipher, and I’ve got all those.

Would anyone please be able to do a few look-ups for me? It’s a handful of baptisms and burials, after civil registration started in 1792.

I’d greatly appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Manche Catholic records (France)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 21 10:24 GMT (UK) »
can you post names ?
is this of any use ??

https://www.maisondenormandie.com/en/miscellaneous
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 21 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I can do, but there’s rather a lot :-\ I’ve just checked and it’s a bit more than a ‘handful’. There’s not many baptisms but a good few burials particularly.

The baptisms are:

Arthemise Clementine Victoire Jeannette, born in Houtteville on the 2nd of May 1845
Jean Baptiste Jeannette, born in Le Plessis on the 24th of July 1805
Jeanne Honorine Le Couturier, born in Baudreville on the 28th of January 1804
Louis Pierre Le Crosnier, born in Saint-Nicolas-de-Coutances on the 27th of March 1841
Pierre Le Crosnier, born in Saint-Nicolas-de-Coutances on the 16th of June 1799
Anne Julie Francoise Le Lieve, born in Sainte-Suzanne-en-Bauptois on the 11th of March 1803
Auguste Jean Aimable Leroy, born in Saint-Nicolas-de-Pierrepont on the 10th of March 1871
Pierre Jean Leroi/Leroy, born in Saint-Nicolas-de-Pierrepont on the 14th of February 1836
Angelique Francoise Tetrel, born in Noirpalu on the 13th of November 1815

https://www.archives-manche.fr/e/ad50_Archives?from=0&size=100&sort=s_ordre.motcle&f_67%5B0%5D=Registres+de+catholicit%E9
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 February 21 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I’ve used Geneanet for a lot of the research, but not found the above baptisms on there.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 February 21 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Oh Ok ....worth a try ...cheers

Offline Braindead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Great Great Grandfather, William Cafferata
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 22:15 GMT (UK) »
This is an incredibly difficult task! I had a look for Arthemise Jeannette, but the microfilm seems quite out of focus and made it difficult to find. I then started to look for Jean Baptiste Jeanette but the baptism records at that time give the republican calendar rather than the Gregorian.
I'm curious as to what you hope to gain from the baptismal records that isn't on the civil records.
"Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 February 21 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I managed to find Arthemise: p224 of the Houtteville archive and Jean Baptiste on pages 15-16 of the Le Plessis archive. Are you after some specific information?
Eddie

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 February 21 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I don't think Jeanne Honorine will appear in the archives as they seem to begin in the Republican month Germinal of Year 12, i.e. beginning 21 March 1804.
Louis Pierre appears on page 1372 of the Coutances St Nicolas archive.
There doesn't seem to be an entry for Pierre in the Coutances archive (the Coutances St Nicolas archive starts in 1806).