Author Topic: Tom and Mary 1883 Wedding Australia  (Read 301 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tom and Mary 1883 Wedding Australia
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 February 21 22:12 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure Neale, it's a treat to see such a lovely wedding dress in an early image like this.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 February 21 22:39 GMT (UK) »
The dress is indeed quite gorgeous and I would think such a gown would be beyond the means of a servant on a sheep station.

It is wonderful to imagine who may have lent it to her and how many others, before and after her,  had the pleasure of wearing it.
 ;D
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 February 21 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes, indeed I have wondered about the wedding dress too. I don’t have wedding photos of any of the other girls in the family, to know if it was used and worn a number of times.
I do know that the women in that family were all extremely practical and good seamstresses, so it is possible that it was a “home made” gown to which a number of sisters had contributed.
And then maybe she was loaned it from her employer. ?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)