Author Topic: Liverpool/Dorset help  (Read 2490 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool/Dorset help
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 04 March 21 14:33 GMT (UK) »
there's another version of the marriage details on FamilySearch that gives the ages of the couple

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP4X-SGGZ

So, working from Margaret's age of 19 in 1883 and searching the 1891 census for a Margaret Hussey of that age with a George in the same household, there is only one and that's the one in Garston, Liverpool. No George Hussey of the correct age in census entries in Northumberland or Durham. Just because someone has it in their tree on Ancestry as a fact doesn't make it correct.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 04 March 21 17:32 GMT (UK) »
there are merchant navy records online for John Hussey, fireman & trimmer, so ties in with occupation on marriage cert. His number 493772 birth given as Garston, Liverpool 7 Nov 1888, although gives 1887 on another record. Date would tie in with dec qtr 1887 birth record found.
Height given as 5ft 6, grey eyes, brown hair, dark complexion & there is a photo!

If he was at sea that could explain no census records.

Marriage looks likely as Margaret was born in Newcastle according to 1891 census.

A 1915 Crew Agreement of the Glasgow registered ship SAINT HELENA, official number 121201 gives a John Hussey, age 28, (That would fit with the previous birth record found) born Liverpool, Rank Fireman and Trimmer.
No Discharge A number given. Last address 3, Nelson Place? Liverpool. Previous ship LUSITANIA?
The Voyage commenced 18/01/1915 in Liverpool and terminated 10/04/1915 in Rotterdam.

https://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/document/198587#&gid=1&pid=4

Number 21 on the crew agreement. Page 4 of 5 including his signature
The Merchant Navy records found by Osprey must be post 1918 when a photograph was included.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 04 March 21 17:46 GMT (UK) »
There’s a John Hussey Fireman listed as a survivor of the Lusitania sinking.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 04 March 21 18:31 GMT (UK) »
yes, the photo has a note of Lexington 21-4-21.

That's something for a fireman to manage to survive!

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 05 March 21 09:37 GMT (UK) »
The 1921 crew agreements of LEXINGTON O/N 123760
can be obtained at a cost from
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=123760

This should tell you his previous ship and his NOK.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 05 March 21 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Just to enlighten you
Vineyard St were Railway Houses - and had a Railway Goods Yard - at the back of Vineyard Railway sidings is Allerton Sidings - for passenger trains
at the back of Allerton Sidings is Allerton Cemetery
obviously I KNOW ALL THESE destinations and can walk to them all
you have given a grave location without any letters in front of it
I can go and see the grave any time weather permitting - but I will need the exact location ---ie section letters
for instance - my families grave is in section CH36
SO YOUR LOCATION - QUOTE - buried at Allerton Cemetery. Section 35 grave 808. is no good without letters in front of it - check this map out
https://www.toxtethparkcemetery.co.uk/Allerton%20Cemetery%20Grave%20Maps/Allerton%20Cemetery%20Map.jpg
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 05 March 21 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Right
on looking at that map - there is only ONE Section that goes up to 35 plus and that is CH35 - which is the next section to my family grave
so
I can go tomorrow / Sunday - any particular details you are looking for ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 05 March 21 10:53 GMT (UK) »
I finally found George in the 1911 living at 10 James Street Garston Liverpool, Garston, Lancashire in the household of James Helsby, wagon repairer.  Another railway occupation.

He is a boarder at this address, widower, birth year given as 1861, occupation is Pointsman, working for a railway company.  Pointsman is the same thing as being a railway signaller, so I would say this is John's father.

all this Railway info is spot on
all the addresses correspond to Railway locations - James St top end was where Garston Up Sidings were for coal and banana wagons
Vineyard St was where Down Sidings were
and Gossett St were Edge Hill sidings are still today ..
Garston Dock Road had a Points Frame - and the POINTSMAN would use that frame to let Goods trains out of the Sidings on to the Mainline to Liverpool Central Station one way - and Manchester / Leeds and London the other way  :)

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 06 March 21 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I went to the Cemetery around 10 am - John Husseys grave is about 25/30 metres from my family grave which was lucky - BUT - I am sorry to tell you that graves 802-816 in CH35 are all just grass - no headstone on those 8 graves ... :(