Author Topic: Dorothy MARSHALL - brick wall, fresh eyes needed  (Read 641 times)

Offline AJH - Holmes and Gordon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dorothy MARSHALL - brick wall, fresh eyes needed
« on: Saturday 20 February 21 08:46 GMT (UK) »
It's been several years since I have researched my tree, but I have just come across a gravestone I walk the dog past everyday and somehow missed, so I am back!

However I have a brick wall that I just cannot seem to pass, and my local library is closed where I would normally do my research, so I'm a bit rusty doing it from home. I was hoping you could shed your expertise on this.

So, I have a Dorothy MARSHALL in my tree, she married a William MARTIN in 1871 in Morpeth Northumberland (where I live) and they had a number of children. This Martin branch is well documented so I have no issues with that, it's Dorothy where I become stuck. I obviously have her from 1881 with her family and a death, and now a gravestone she shares with William and 4 of the children. Anything before marriage is sketchy.

So far I have a birth c.1848-49 in Bedlington from the census records, a father Thomas MARSHALL a farmer of Bedlington (close to Morpeth) from the marriage record. And thats it! I have a possible birth record to a single lady with the surname Marshall in Bedlington around that year, and possible census matches. In 1851 aged 2 in Morpeth with a grandmother which I guess could fit, a single mum who couldn't cope so shes living with grandparents, or just staying a couple of days. In 1861 a possible match as a servant quite away from home. Could something have happened with the parents? I cannot find anything in 1871, which would be just before she married William, who himself was working in Newcastle as an apprentice butcher. He later opened a butchers in Morpeth where the family lived. I cannot pin down a birth, and nothing for the father Thomas MARSHALL.

I'm very rusty in my research so fresh eyes would be greatly appreciated  ;)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy MARSHALL - brick wall, fresh eyes needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 21 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Okay, so what names witness the marriage?

Is there a Thomas Marshall in Bedlington area 1851/1861/1871? www.familysearch.org

Anything for Dorothy on The GRO index to indicate if her mother's maiden name? www.gro.gov.uk

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 21 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Can you please give all the details on the marriage certificate?
Especially witnesses and address.

The 2 year old with grandparents in 1851 has a different surname to them, they are BROWN.  She is MARSHALL

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 21 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a possible birth record to a single lady with the surname Marshall in Bedlington around that year

This one?
MARSHALL, DOROTHY       
Mother's Maiden Surname:
GRO Reference: 1848  S Quarter in THE MORPETH UNION  Volume 25  Page 335

Possible baptism
6 August 1848, Bedlington
Dorothy
daur of Catharine Marshall
abode Bedlington
Single woman
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L967-PS44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 February 21 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions. First, I don't have the marriage certificate, just a transcribed entry ...

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/581827b6e93790eb7f45e512/dorothy-marshall-william-martin-marriage-northumberland-morpeth-1871-11-27?locale=en

... which shows the father as Thomas MARSHALL. All other details match. I don't have anything for Thomas at all, there are some possibilities but I cannot nail anything down.

And yes, this is one possibility to a birth/baptism, but again nothing to support it ...

This one?
MARSHALL, DOROTHY       
Mother's Maiden Surname:

Possible baptism
Dorothy
abode Bedlington
Single woman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 February 21 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Can you please give all the details on the marriage certificate?
Especially witnesses and address.

The 2 year old with grandparents in 1851 has a different surname to them, they are BROWN.  She is MARSHALL

I realise the surname difference but shes listed as a granddaughter. I was thinking perhaps something could have happened with the parents. Given a possible match to a birth with a single mum, perhaps she couldn't cope so Dorothy was passed to more capable hands. I'm just thinking of possibilites because I cannot find a firm match.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 21 11:20 GMT (UK) »
This one?
MARSHALL, DOROTHY       
Mother's Maiden Surname:

Possible baptism
Dorothy
abode Bedlington
Single woman

If this is Dorothy and her mum is Catherine, I was hoping to find them in 1851. I cannot find a Catherine Marshall in Bedington, however I do find one in Morpeth, working as a house servant on Newgate Street (where eventually Dorothy lives with William at their butchers!). A Dorothy Marshall aged 2 is a granddaughter at the Brown household at Hill Gate, which is just over the river. Is this a big conclusion to jump to to assume a likely match?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 21 11:23 GMT (UK) »
In addition, the same Catherine Marshall is found in 1861 as (umarried, cant quite make it out) with two other children of 2 years and 2 months. I have a possible match for Dorothy in 1861 away as a house servant elswehere. I realise I'm making some leaps here, but it doesnt explain where the potential father Thomas is, I still cannot find anything relating to him other than a mention in the marriage record as Dorothys father from Bedlington as a farmer.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 February 21 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Nothing in the marriage record indicates that Thomas (even if he isn't a convenient fiction) came from Bedlington.

Have you looked for Catherine's baptism?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.