Author Topic: Advice please- buying military medals & military uniform identification  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please- buying military medals & military uniform identification
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Aw no don’t do that Ayashi. I don’t want to offend the poor guy.

I know people have different sized heads, but when you look at really tall people, their heads looks small compared to their bodies, so I was basing my estimate in that.  ;)

I also thought your chap looked fairly short of limb as well as large of head.  >:(

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Well, it's not like measuring photos is particularly accurate, you could still be right for all I know lol

;)

Sometimes I do wonder if it would be a valid tactic to go to a cemetery, say a few choice things and see which graves start revolving...  ;D

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I believe You did very well, Detective Ayashi.

I forgot to add that the average table height is around 30", and the chair in the photograph, would be considered nearly 'highback' at 36", average 'highback' is around 40".

By the way, I don't own any antique chairs, nowadays, but out of curiosity, I measured the seat height of My three piece suite, and it came to 17," so not much has changed over the years.

I won't venture into estimating Human height by limb/bone lengths, but there are Online Tables/Articles, which describe these methods.

I hope it was an interesting exercise and fun method to work on, which might come in useful for the future, as a rough guide for height estimating.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire