Author Topic: Census and visitors  (Read 906 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Census and visitors
« on: Saturday 20 February 21 16:23 GMT (UK) »
If on the night of a census a grandchild was at the house of their Grandparent would they be noted as a  'visitor' or 'grandchild'?
I ask because I have a child in 1861 who is termed as 'grandchild' so I am wondering if that meant that this was their home. Of course I may be overthinking it!

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census and visitors
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 21 16:33 GMT (UK) »
That column is for the relationship to the head of the household, so grandchild would be correct whether the child lived there permanently or was just visiting.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 21 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I agree  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 21 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Really it could be either as the census documents those in the household on census night and relationship to head of house... not who lived at the property.

Reality is that it could be either depend on what the head of house wrote or understood... on one census my great grandfather  was down as grandchild and two of his full siblings as visitors...so head of house had used 'lived' in the household v 'visiting' the household in that case...yet all of their relationship was grandchild to head of house
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 February 21 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your input. I do keep having to remind myself that the census only illustrates who was where on one night.
I remember the last time we filled in our census in 2011our son - who was here temporarily between house moves - said anyone looking at his history might miss the fact that he had lived in Wales for 9 years after the 2001.