Author Topic: Were baptisms always in a church/chapel?  (Read 927 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Were baptisms always in a church/chapel?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 February 21 10:12 GMT (UK) »

This post has me wondering if they were all baptised at home, the last being mid 1880s.

They might not have been baptised anywhere, it might have been accepted practice but was it ever a legal requirement.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familyfind

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 February 21 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage on my tree  Christmas Day 1869 between Alfred Gowlett and Mary Ann Ellen Moss both aged 19 years who got married in the schoolroom in Radwinter Essex.

In the marriage register, they seem to be unusual as all other marriages are marked as 'at church' or 'at the Parish Church'

It looks like it was changed on the certificate with 'church' being overwritten by (possibly) 'licensed'.

I wonder why the church was not used?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 February 21 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the church was being repaired or rebuilt. One local Catholic hapel fell into disrepair and it was a number of years until a new one was built and opened. In the meanshile services were conducted in a barn. It might be that the school was connected or near the church so the marriage was performed there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 February 21 11:20 GMT (UK) »

This post has me wondering if they were all baptised at home, the last being mid 1880s.

They might not have been baptised anywhere, it might have been accepted practice but was it ever a legal requirement.

No even under church law a baptism is a baptism no matter where it takes place even if that is in a local river.
Cheers
Guy
PS I should mention the answer would be different if you were asking about marriages, they have strict requirements to fulfil and some marriages under covid rules are of dubious legality
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 February 21 12:18 GMT (UK) »
As my gtgrandmother was originally from Ireland, I had thought she was catholic although she married in an Anglican Church.

Perhaps she wanted the children baptised but not as Anglicans, or again perhaps they never were. I simply don’t know.

They all married in an Anglican Church.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 February 21 12:24 GMT (UK) »
As my gtgrandmother was originally from Ireland, I had thought she was catholic although she married in an Anglican Church.

Perhaps she wanted the children baptised but not as Anglicans, or again perhaps they never were. I simply don’t know.

They all married in an Anglican Church.

Have you looked for adult baptisms after marriage? I have several that were baptised after marriage, up to seven years post marriage in one case.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 February 21 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Adult baptism after marriage had never occurred to me, what would be the point?

I’ve had baptisms just prior to marriage at a different church.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 February 21 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Adult baptism after marriage had never occurred to me, what would be the point?

Several reasons depending on circumstances:
One in my extended family, early 20th century was so that husband could be buried in same grave as his wife in the part of the cemetery for her denomination.
To fit in with the rest of the family.
A genuine religious conversion.
Serious illness.

Cowban

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 February 21 15:33 GMT (UK) »
From time to time you can spot "privately baptised" in a church register - this indicates a home baptism for a child who was unwell and at risk of dying before it could be brought to church. There is a special service for this in the Book of Common Prayer ; following that is a set of instructions for the Minister to follow when the child is brought to church. There is as well as a service The Ministration of Baptsim to those of Riper Years, and are able to answer for themselves

In my current indexing I am finding so, so many children baptised on one day and buried the next, or in the next week. Perinatal mortality used to be high.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan