Author Topic: Pembroke Hotel Llangyfelach Rd. Clase, Morriston  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Pembroke Hotel Llangyfelach Rd. Clase, Morriston
« on: Saturday 20 February 21 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help.
I'm trying to locate the Pembroke Hotel on Llangyfelach Rd. I don't think it still exists and I have failed to find a map that shows it in 1871/81 when Francis Gambold was the landlord.

Fisherman
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Pembroke Hotel Llangyfelach Rd. Clase, Morriston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 21 21:15 GMT (UK) »
When did it become the Pembroke Hotel as neither the 1871 or 1881 entries give a name?    It’s shown as number 4 in 1881
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 21 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,
I can't be sure but it Francis Gambold bought the place sometime before 1871 and must have named/renamed it after the place of his birth.
I am searching old newspapers as I'm sure there is a report that mentions it.

*Added* It was Pembroke Hotel 22/3/1870 (Western Mail)

Just found: Francis went into "liquidation by arrangement" in 1882, so the hotel probably ceased trading at this time.
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Richards in Breconshire

Offline margaret davies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 21 17:09 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)Hello Chris,How are you??? in reply to your query Pembroke Hotel, on the 1885/6 electrical Reg it is still down as Pembroke Hotel, 4 Llangyfelach St, dwelling house, Innkeeper and corn merchant,didn`t he die age 57yrs 1889,his wife Elizabeth (wid)  was living with their son William 1891 and she died 1901, Margaret

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 21 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
I'm hoping that 4 Llangyfelach Rd. is at the Clase end of the road and the building still exists.  You are right that after his death Elizabeth went to live with William, in Dilwyn St. in Swansea.
Francis has been difficult to track. From Pembrokeshire he moved to Marylebone then back to Pembs. Before settling in Morriston/Clase
Richards in Breconshire

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 21 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Llangyfelach Rd still exists. The building may be there but not as the Pembroke Hotel. It is the B4489, a long road running north/south, but 4 is at the north end, bottom left of Morriston Cemetery and the DVLA car park. On Street View, there may be a hotel like building still standing. Dillwyn Street is in the centre, but now a short street, probally cut by the Express Way. On a map it is left of the Quadrant Shopping Centre.

Offline margaret davies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 21 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, It seems that he was in Marleborne for a few years, most of his children were born there as far as I can see, he was a drapers assistant when he married Elizabeth.Sorry ,this is all repeated information i`m sure,what date are you looking for for the hotel?.margx

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 21 23:10 GMT (UK) »
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3341278/3341281/47/
The Cambrian . 6th March 1896
John Morgan applied for a reduction in the- assessment of a house, formerly the Pembroke Hotel, in Llangyfelach-road. The present gross rental was £35. and the rateable value £29 15s. The license for the house had been rejected for some years, and, with the exception of six months, the house had been idle. The owner, who occupied four rooms of the house, complained that he was unable to let the house because the rating was too high.

ADDED:
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3518379/3518380/5/
South Wales Daily News . 7th November 1885
THE PEMBROKE HOTEL, LLANGEFELACH-ROAD. A CAPITAL DOUBLE LICENSED HOUSE will be SOLD (with possession) by AUCTION by JAMES and JAMES, at the Weleonit- to-Town Inn, Morriston, on WEDNESDAY EVENING next, November 11th, at Seven o'clock sharp. Lease 62 years, at. the low ground rent of £1. Further particulars from the Auctioneers, and Messrs Richards and Davies, solicitors, Swansea.

Francis Gambold was trading there in 1882 as he is in court for using incorrect weights; Weekly Mail 15th July 1882. Other articles say he had a spirit license and it seems he was there in 1870.

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 February 21 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Talacharn,
Thank you for the extra info.
Francis and family were at The Pembroke by at least 1871 and I believe was there until his death in 1887. I would really like to know if the building still exists so that my son who lives only a few miles away could take some photos when we come out of lock down.
Richards in Breconshire