Author Topic: Pembroke Hotel Llangyfelach Rd. Clase, Morriston  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pembroke Hotel Llangyfelach Rd. Clase, Morriston
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 February 21 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Looking on Google Maps, I was wrong about the direction, as the lowest numbers are nearest the city centre. On Street View, no house remains where No 4 should be, it is an intersection of major roads.

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 February 21 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Just looked at street view online for Llangyfelach Road.  Llangyfelach Street near the city centre leads to Llangyfelach Road going all the way to the highest numbers in Treboeth.  The first property that still stands on the odd numbers side is the Three Feathers Inn, but is a high street number, almost 200.  On the bottom end of Llangyfelach Road on the even number side, there are some fairly new property. A roundabout separates Llangyfelach Road from Llangyfelach Street at this point.  I have a book with photos of Swansea through the years, there might be a picture of The Pembroke there.  I know some historians in Treboeth and Brynhyfryd nearby, will ask them if any photos are available.
Perinton (somerset & Swansea)  Dakin (Sileby Leics & Devon) Thomas, Lewis, Scully, Morgan (Llangyfelach) Jenkins (Caeo) Davies, Williams, Roberts, James, Gabriel, Rowland (Froncysyllte).

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 February 21 16:40 GMT (UK) »
https://maps.nls.uk/view/102183123
On the map top left, there is ST JOHN. Just south-west of the J and next to the railway line, there is a PH which I believe is the Hotel. Dated 1897/1900 it will be standing.
It makes more sense for the numbers to start at the city centre.

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 February 21 11:02 GMT (UK) »
David, Talacharn
Thanks for your help in trying to locate "The Pembroke"
I am not convinced that it was on the Swansea end of the road. Both the 1871, RG10/5446/11/16, and 1881, RG11/5353/5446/11/16, say that it was in Clase, Morriston.  There is also a newspaper article (26/3/1870) that places the hotel In the Morriston area.
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Corbet/t in Shropshire, Norfolk, Worcestershire
Gambold in South West Wales, USA, Australia
Baylis/s in Gloucestershire, South Wales
Richards in Breconshire
Manthorpe in Shropshire, Norfolk, Cheshire, Suffolk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 February 21 13:06 GMT (UK) »
At the opposite end and beyond Llangyfelach Road, but the same road, is a building that is now 3 houses, but looks like an old public house with outbuildings. It is now Swansea Road and only a little way down from the M4.

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 February 21 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Just looked at details of 1870 newspaper article with mention of Pembrokeshire Hotel.  The descriptions put the building in the Morriston area.  Several other names are mentioned such as New Cross, Wharf Wall, Penwern, Morgan's place.  I don't have access to the original census pages, but in my opinion 4 Llangyfelach Road and Pembrokeshire Hotel are in two different locations. 

The photo Talacharn posted is next to a current public house, but in the vicinity of 2 other former public houses.  The Joiners Arms nearby, and  the other around the corner in Pengors Road.  The one in Pengors Road used to be kept by the Gambold family. This house is still standing, but I don't think this was the Pembrokeshire Hotel!  I will continue to make enquiries next week.
Perinton (somerset & Swansea)  Dakin (Sileby Leics & Devon) Thomas, Lewis, Scully, Morgan (Llangyfelach) Jenkins (Caeo) Davies, Williams, Roberts, James, Gabriel, Rowland (Froncysyllte).

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 March 21 21:15 GMT (UK) »
David, Talacharn,
Thanks for the latest finds.  I'm trawling through newspapers hoping to pinpoint the hotel.  The best I've found so far is that one person estimated to be "a mile and half" from The Smiths Arms in Llansamlet. Not much help if you don't know where the Smiths was/is.    ;D ;D
Sockett in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire, Glamorgan and probably the rest of the UK
Richards in Breconshire

Offline David Neil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Just looked at 1900s O.S. map for Morriston, I was surprised to see Llangyfelach Road!!! It is now called Pentrepoeth Road which goes towards Llangyfelach from Morriston Cross. A little way along this road on 1900s map is the symbol PH (public house).  I still have a few local historians to ask about the Pembrokeshire Hotel. Will try them tomorrow.  If you find 'Pentrepoeth Dental Practice' on google maps streetview for Morristion this is the approx location for the PH on the 1900s Morristion OS map.

Offline Fisherman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 01:10 GMT (UK) »
David,
I have now found The Smiths Arms. It is on the junction of Samlet Rd. and Church Rd. in Llansamlet.
Looking at a satellite  image I am guessing that is about a mile and a half from the location you pointed out which would be about right, as per the newspaper report.
Richards in Breconshire