Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 20th February  (Read 798 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 20th February
« on: Sunday 21 February 21 00:30 GMT (UK) »
The gales that were forecast were battering us all day, only dying down during the evening. It was very mild despite the winds which were nowhere near as cold as previously. I hope it's going to be calmer for a while, I still like to get out for a walk but it's knocking the stuffing out of me, I was gasping when I came back today.

Felt restless, wanted to put another coat of varnish on my pot but I want to do it outside, not possible in these conditions. Too windy for any gardening. I found the peanuts for the birds that I'd stored in the garage so refilled the feeder and secured it safely.
Was about to text my friend A to see how she is but decided to phone instead, much nicer to talk. She wants to get some work done to her tiny garden, I made some suggestions which she found useful.

After that I got on and did some housework once again. I had some lactose free milk left so had a go at making a white sauce to go with some chicken and leeks. I scaled down the quantity in a recipe and although I was successful in the mixing it was too thick, a bit like thick custard. I added a bit of ordinary milk but didn't dare overdo it. I'll have another go in future but will make sure I have enough milk to make the right consistency.

Watched the last of the Joanna Lumley series, it's been really interesting watching her travels around Britain.
I'm getting fed up lately after spending nearly a year alone but am also feeling anxious about getting back to normal. Not just because of the pandemic itself but also because I feel nervous about resuming things we all used to take for granted such things as classes and social events. These days it's termed social anxiety. Perhaps the fact that it will be only a gradual resuming of activities will help.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 20th February
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 21 01:06 GMT (UK) »
After a few slightly cooler days, my Saturday was hot and steamy - the sort of weather that doesn’t seem too bad if you are sitting in one spot, but if you exert yourself even a little, you start sweating.

Despite that I did a little trimming of overhanging branches and cut back a couple of shrubs, enough to half fill my garden bin. Repotted a couple of African Violets which haven’t had change of soil since I got them years ago. I’m sure they will perk up nicely.

Watched a couple more episodes of Last Tango in Halifax. The dramas keep coming. Was slightly distracted by the poor continuity with the two babies/children as they grew up.  ;D

A little bit of precipitation in the evening but sadly not enough to register on the rain gauge.

I don’t like windy weather so don’t envy you the gales you all seem to have been suffering through recently. A year alone Roobarb - the time seems to have passed quickly though sadly I think it will still be a while before things get back to the way they were.  :( What would you typically have done in a “normal” week and a “normal year”? (I mean in general - outings and holidays for example)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 21 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - I can definitely understand your anxiety about re- entering life outside the confines of your home... it will feel liberating in lots of ways but we’ve become so used to staying in our own vicinity for so long that it makes you feel quite apprehensive about venturing further....
even though we had I suppose about four visits to NT places since March of last year I still feel like that! Don’t worry too much about it as I’m sure once you’ve taken those first steps out you’ll be fine...
Hope your weather improves too!

Ruskie- it’s amazing how we moan about the weather what ever it’s doing! We are difficult to please as we all want it just perfect! I empathise with you over hot steamy weather though as it does sap your energy... good you got some gardening done despite it though!
See there have been protests in Brisbane about the upcoming vaccine rollouts! You wonder what makes these people tick really...

The weather was a definite improvement but still fairly dull to start with... our temp reached 14C at one point and it was lovely to throw open more windows and open the conservatory doors into the living room...
We didn’t do much though as OH’s still not right...
Did some reading... played scrabble
Spoke to another friends whose birthday it was... she lives up in The Lake District.. not visited her for some time now... it’s always so beautiful up there and she takes us on wonderful walks..
Dinner was the rest of the beef Wellington we’d had last week.... just popped in the oven for 25 mins and it was still delicious!
Watched tv... ending up with Educating Rita with a young Julie Walters and Michael Caine... had forgotten what a good film it was... consequently ended up going to bed a lot later than normal...
Still read to finish my book and now awake early... going to feel like stewed string later!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 21 08:51 GMT (UK) »
 :D "Stewed string".... I love that!! Pretend you are reading and have a little doze.... hardly anyone will notice Caroline. ;)
I watched "Educating Rita" a few weeks ago, though if it had been screened earlier yesterday, I would gladly have watched it again.

A year alone Roobarb, I do feel for you.  Thank goodness you have had the zoom classes, and occasional walks with a chum, but I can imagine how nervous you feel about gaining some form of normality.

I had such a full schedule, always rushing off to one group or another, but I have been thinking about how much, if any, I want to take up again. Eg: How safe will it be to return to being a room guide for the NT, with visitors coming through from all over the country, and potentially the world, again? Going to the supermarket freaks me out.  Actually walking along the prom freaks me out if it is busier than I like.

Funny thing Ruskie, we have young ones just taken up a new life in Oz.  They are so worried to be stuck indoors on a sunny day, in case it doesn't happen again for months.  I keep telling them they need not worry about that anymore!!

Yesterday I got very wet going on an early bread raid, when I didn't see a soul walking in either direction.
Achieved virtually nothing all day.
Watched Victoria Wood holding the entire Albert Hall spell-bound. So sad we lost her far too young.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 21 09:18 GMT (UK) »
That’s a good idea MH to doze off while reading! Should have actually said chewed string but it amounts to the same experience 😂😂

The new life that we’ll all be contemplating soon with any luck could be quite different from the old one... I do agree there are many instances that were once normal now up for consideration... I’ve always wanted to be a NT guide but we have no where near enough to do it... it’s a pity that’s one pleasure you’re thinking of not returning to... I understand why though!

BTW - delighted to read on previous post that you’ve seen your new grandson via a video link... hope you’ll soon be able to do that in real time... as will Annette be able to see her newest gt. nieces and Viktoria see her dear FH...

We watched the last part of Victoria Wood.. you’re so right about loosing her... we went to the Corn Exchange in Leicester to see her ... the audience were in hysterics when she just stood on the stage in her Mac and beret... she hadn’t even opened her mouth at that point... so talented and greatly missed..

Hope your weather isn’t as bad today as yesterday... 😢🤞a
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 February 21 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie, your weather sounds exhausting, not surprising that you don't feel like doing anything so well done on getting some gardening done. It's a long time since I watched Last Tango in Halifax, I do remember a couple of bombshells being dropped quite early on in what had seemed to be a gentle sort of story and more surprises throughout the subsequent series.

During a normal week I would have attended my art and Pilates classes, usually a couple of visits to the gym depending on the weather, in the summer it would be more gardening than gym. I'd sometimes meet one or other of my friends for lunch and at the weekends I'd often meet a group of friends for drinks in the evening. Sometimes I'd go to a music night at a local pub with a friend, occasionally meet another friend for a drink and a chat at my local. I'd also go shopping sometimes for clothes to wear on these occasions! It sounds like I was run off my feet but not all of these things happened together, the regular activities were art, Pilates and gym. I used to have two holidays  abroad a year and last summer had planned to visit my friend in Devon. Also a possible visit to the National Archives which would entail a two night stay.

MH, what a shame it would be if you didn't feel comfortable taking up your NT work again. I can understand your feeling freaked out by supermarket visits and being in close proximity to people.

What a mild day for you Caroline, a shame that you weren't able to make the most of it. Hope your OH soon has some improvement, particularly if Boris will allow the golf courses to reopen. I liked the stewed string comment too  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 February 21 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon all
I’m writing this on Sunday as I’ve just switched the computer on. Today is sunny though chilly and I’m debating whether to hang the washing outside for the first time to get a blow through.
Re the future, I share Roobarbs comments about the future. I’m wondering just exactly what it will look like. I had a life before covid of two choir practices a week so was out two nights a week with that. Might not sound much , but it broke the week up nicely. Will they ever return? Will we ever be allowed to sing in a meaningful way again? The pros choirs are allowed to sing socially distanced now so are very spread out when they sing. You can’t do that with a 50 strong choir.  Our practice venues were schools. We can’t see schools wanting to hire out their premises at night to 50 strangers bringing potential germs into their nice clean premises? Even when we’re all vaccinated , will choir members want to return and will audiences want to come and listen. We just don’t know. Sorry if this isn’t suitable for the diary thread, but it seemed to follow on and is my musings that I would put in a diary if I wrote one.
North East of England

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 February 21 14:00 GMT (UK) »
It sounds like you used to have a fairly busy social life Roobarb - not surprising that having to be locked up at home has been so difficult.  :(

I read that some expert or other in America is claiming that the coronavirus will be gone by April. Apparently cases there have been in decline. Time will tell.

Working in a National Trust property would wonderful. I expect that places like this which can control entry numbers and adhere to social distancing (specifically the larger ones) might open again sooner than other places. They may have to introduce a booking system rather than risk having hundreds turn up expecting entry.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 February 21 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Candleflame - I feel for you... I have a friend who sings in two choirs and I know how much she’s missed it but like you is quite anxious about what will happen going forward...

Ruskie - regarding NT places, when first lockdown ended we were able to visit but you had to prebook, they released times on a Friday before the following week.. that way numbers are controlled... we met our daughter and family in October... once you’re there there’s no time limit. You get turned away if you turn up without booking... as the carload in front of us discovered! English Heritage run the same system. You could only use the gardens and it was a one way system to avoid people just wandering aimlessly around. It’s well organised so seems seamless!
There was one property that we could go inside but limited numbers at any one time... I guess it’ll be the same when we’re allowed out again!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK