Author Topic: Edmund Buckley  (Read 1815 times)

Offline SirJohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edmund Buckley
« on: Sunday 21 February 21 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all  --
Please refer to the image in this link --

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Edmund_Buckley_Was_Killed_In_This_Room_During_A_Drunken_Brawl_August_17th_1704.jpg

I have ancestral links to the Buckleys of Crompton Fold and Doghill areas which are close to The Black Ladd pub.  I would like to ascertain where this Edmund fits in and birth date if possible as well as any other info regarding this significant brawl.   Buckleys at about that time had coal mining and quarrying interests close by in what is now known as Crompton Moor.
Does anyone out there know if he was one of these Buckleys or anything else that might help.
I have been in touch with The Black Ladd who say they have no other information on the incident.
Thank you  --  John

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Buckley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 21 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Do you know how old he was when he died - and who ran the pub ? and how far is Paulden from Crompton Fold ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline SirJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 February 21 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I know little else apart from the information on the inscription inside The Black Ladd pub,  as per the link.   The current operators of the pub have no other information altho' they are going to make inquiries with local regulars.
I would have thought seeing the inscription was prominent in the pub, that "Edmund Buckley" was a person of prominence in the area, or further afield, at the time.    Buckley was a very common name in Shaw and Crompton around that time.
Crompton Fold/Moor is about 1.2miles and Doghill about two thirds of a mile from The Black Ladd.
I am sorry "garstonite",  I have no knowledge of what or where Paulden is.......
Cheers  John

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 February 21 08:54 GMT (UK) »
I could only find one baptism in that area 1698
Baptism: 1_ Apr 1698 St Mary, Oldham, Lancashire, England
Edmund Buckley - [Child] of Jonathan Buckley
abode Paulden
Paulden is 8 miles from Crompton Fold
I just thought maybe if his parents ran the pub and he died aged 6 his name would have been remembered with a plaque
probably Pie in the Sky - but - as I say - that is the only baptism for Edmund in that area - nothing 20 -30-40 yrs earlier  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 February 21 09:26 GMT (UK) »
This is from an earlier thread and I post it just to show the difficulties in researching Buckleys  in the area but also Edmunds.

Familysearch has these christenings for you to consider

Edmund Buckley
christening: 20 July 1664 MANCHESTER CATHEDRAL,MANCHESTER,LANCASHIRE,ENGLAND
father: Thomas Buckley

Edmund Buckley
christening: 1662 SADDLEWORTH,YORK,ENGLAND
father: Johis. Buckley

Edmund Buckley
christening: 24 February 1655 SADDLEWORTH,YORK,ENGLAND
father: John Buckley

Edmund Buckley
christening: 9 March 1656 SADDLEWORTH,YORK,ENGLAND
father: Edmund Buckley

Edmund Buckley
christening: 8 April 1657 SADDLEWORTH,YORK,ENGLAND
father: Henery Buckley

You could try Oldham Local Archives but I am not sure how it is working at the moment.
https://galleryoldham.org.uk/collections/oldham-local-studies/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 February 21 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood - So I presume that Saddleworth is close to Crompton Fold - I didn't know that - so my info is obsolete - Edmund Buckley looks a quite common name now - it didn't an hour ago ....lol

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 February 21 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is close, garstonite, and Buckleys are to be found all over that and the wider area. :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SirJohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you garstonite and heywood for your efforts and thoughts.   Quite an interesting possibility that it was a child that somehow got caught up in the pub brawl.........
Buckleys are a nightmare to research.   They were so heavily concentrated in the Shaw, Crompton, Saddleworth areas where they had spread from origins around Rochdale.
Thanks again John    (I will try Oldham Archive)