Author Topic: Burial listings  (Read 295 times)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial listings
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 February 21 10:42 GMT (UK) »
You didnít mention the two previous burials in your original post. I presume you have looked for a burial for the mother between the second and third childís death? If you havenít found the motherís burial in the same village, I suggest you look in neighbouring parishes.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,† Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial listings
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 February 21 17:53 GMT (UK) »
It is quite common for only the father to be named in early baptisms, it doesnít signify that the mother was deceased. Women were of no importance, they were regarded as possessions of the husband, they had no rights over the children, even their clothes belonged to the husband.

Added to above, a child got his/her right of settlement in a parish from the father if the child was born in wedlock.

Details recorded in parish registers sometimes changed when the incumbent curate changed. That happened in a parish in 18th century when some of my ancestors were having children. Baptisms and burials of children in 1750's in that parish had names of both parents, those in 1760's & 1770's had father only. (Mothers of children in my families were alive throughout those decades.) Naming of both parents for baptisms and burials of children began again in 1780. Burials of some adults (oldest aged 40) in early decades of 19thC. have parents' names. Some deceased were spinsters and at least 1 was a bachelor (a son of my ancestors, age incorrectly noted as 20 instead of 21). One was a 23 year-old recently married man, a connection of my family. 
Cowban