Author Topic: RMS "NIAGARA" - Ship Passenger List  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Didlinghill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RMS "NIAGARA" - Ship Passenger List
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 February 21 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Many shipping lines at that time gave passengers a brochure which included a map of the route, together with a complete list of passengers (and which class!), and often a postcard, wine list and menu also slipped in. My grandfather kept these as souvenirs. While I don't have the route map specifically for the Niagara, those I do have include the RMS Marama, Union Steam Ship Co., which sailed the same route. I was going to attach a scan of this in case anyone is interested - but sadly it has come to 5.9Mb in colour as it has so much detail; however I've produced a B/W line version at lower resolution which is within the permitted limit, to give you an idea. If I was more skilled I could probably produce a link to the real thing somehow, but I'm not sure how - a pity, because it's a magnificent map!
Well, I tried, and it still wouldn't send it - I know some forums don't allow newcomers to send attachments, so maybe that's the reason.

Alec.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 February 21 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alec,

I'm way in over my head on this...but have you noticed the A E HAMMOND who is listed on the:
All New South Wales, Australia, Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1826-1922?

Last arrival date is 17 May 1920 on board the Main (from London) . Listed as Chief Steward ( I think!). It does say born 1886 Hull but I'm not sure I'm believing that.

Probably a different person?

Maureen

Offline Didlinghill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 February 21 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen,

Thanks for mentioning that reference, but I did see it. I am quite sure he wouldn't have started out from London on 1920 as he hadn't been seen there since 1913. As he would most likely have been located in Australia since he failed to return on the boat he stated; he may well have officially immigrated but presumably that was just a metter of registering in those days, I don't think they had any requirements for being skilled and self-supporting in those days.

I have just been searching past Australian Censuses for his full name and there were two screenfuls of them, so I'm not too hopeful of finding him. If only he had an uncommon name! But do let me know if you find anything more, it's all worth looking at.

One thing that might narrow down the choice - when he was out of work as a Ship Steward, he always looked for similar work (i.e. waiter) in hotels. Goodness knows how to search for English-born waiters in NSW!

Alec.

Alec.

Offline Didlinghill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 11:00 GMT (UK) »
To bring this up-to-date, I referred back to the date given in my grandfather's letter and find that the actual departure date was 28th September 1916, arriving at Vancouver 19th October. I returned to the back-lac.gc.ca website, searched on these dates and found the correct Manifest.
There was no Albert Hammond among the passengers - that would have been very unlikely, as he was living hand-to-mouth - and there was no Crew List on the final page.
I then accessed their enquiry form, enquiring whether they had a Crew List for that voyage. This was promptly acknowledged but - in view of the backlog caused by Covid-19 - they said that I could expect a reply in four months. At least it's a step in the right direction.
Thanks to all, Alec.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 February 21 09:31 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be a crew list for the Niagara arriving Honolulu Oct 12,1916 (on Ancestry).

I'm not seeing Mr. Hammond though.

If you look for Thomas BEARUP you can see the beginning page of the list.

Kind regards,
Maureen

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 February 21 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Could this marriage be worth checking out?

Alfred Ernest HAMMOND to Olvie (Olive?) Stella JEFFERIES in 1918 in Victoria State, Australia.  No ages given.

No image available to view.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 February 21 12:13 GMT (UK) »
This is the information from the Victoria State BDM records:-

Record information
Event:marriages
Registration number7810 / 1918
Family name:HAMMOND
Given name(s)Alfd Ernest
Personal detail
Spouse's family name:JEFFERIES
Spouse's given name(s)Olvie Stella

Record information
Event:marriages
Registration number7810 / 1918
Family name:HAMMOND
Given name(s)Alfd Ernest
Personal detail
Spouse's family name:JEFFREY
Spouse's given name(s)Olive Stella

Same marriage as the reference number is the same.  For some reason the bride's name has been entered differently for each record.

Offline Didlinghill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 March 21 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you both, MaureeninNY and Girl Guide.

Regarding that crew list to Honolulu, on that day Albert was among the crew of the WYRUMA between Melbourne and Sydney. I would still like to see that crew list mentioned - "page starting Bearup" - just in case it gave a clue to anything else, but unfortunately couldn't find it in Ancestry, even though I have a Worldwide membership.

I have been investigating several other weddings (remember it's Albert Ernest Hammond) and looked into Mary Ellen Lynch, Victoria, 17 May 1907 (newspaper announcement makes it clear that his father was local); Alice Gillingham which is not his wife; and a Louisa Hammond living with an Albert Ernest Hammond on a subsequent Electoral Roll in Victoria, again it doesn't check out.

If I give some extracts from his final, rather desperate, letter dated 12 September 1916, it may give a better idea of his state of mind. It is clear that he was not on the journey he mentions, and he seems to have little knowledge of Canada, and I haven't found any army/navy service record:

“Good Bye Sydney!”

"I have tried everything, hotels for instance, here in New South Wales and there is no employment for me. So I have decided this time to leave the country and go to Canada. I am tired of Australia where is no money to be made, and money I want, I must have.

I am leaving this week for the States and don’t know how things will there with me over there when I arrive. If things are no different I will join the unfortunate devils in the war.

I received a letter from you this morning demanding money from me, it’s is no use you writing to me in that strain. If I don’t earn it you can’t get it.

I expect I will settle in a place called in Canada Ontario. Times have changed, I’m not the same Albert Ernest Hammond as I used to be.

I am leaving Sydney 23rd September for Canada, I am tired of everything. I don’t suppose I shall ever see England any more.

Love to all at home, kiss the children for me. Write to GPO Ontario, Canada.

If I have no good luck you will hear from me. I feel very depressed, tired of the War and all its surroundings."

So many people have read that rather desperate final letter, and they all seem to draw different conclusions from it! I have compiled a log of every ship he joined, and every letter he wrote (which reflect many changes in mood). He had mentioned the States before, and even completed an official "Declaration of Intention to become a citizen" but never followed this up with a final Oath of Allegiance which normally follows after two or three years - another example of his constant indecision. (I did find one of these for an Albert Hammond but the timing and signature were wrong). All ideas are welcome, as I reckon he may have gone anywhere or nowhere, and it really does seem to be the ultimate brick wall!

Thanks again for your help,

Alec.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 March 21 10:30 GMT (UK) »
In your first post you refer to him as Alfred

My grandfather, Alfred Ernest Hammond (born 16 Feb 1884 in Battersea) was a Ship's Steward since January 1913.

So which is he Alfred or Albert?