Author Topic: Remember when...  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Remember when...
« on: Sunday 21 February 21 16:56 GMT (UK) »
....Sundays were classed as a day of rest...you couldn't buy food of any description on Sundays. Music wasn't allowed to be played in the pubs. You couldn't do the laundry or any cleaning. Everyone wore their best clothes and went visiting relatives, or to the cemetery with a bunch of flowers, or took a trip to the seaside.
"The Railway Children" was on T.V. at teatime. Everyone had a Sunday roast: Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and two veg. Shop didn't open with the exception of small corner shops who had set opening times for Sunday trading.
How times have changed...how many times did you hear the words: "It was different in our day" and now I'm beginning to sound like my Mum  :-\  ;D

What do others remember about the Sundays of the past and other changes over time?

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Remember when...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 21 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Day of rest, unless you were a paper boy   ;D ;D,   Sunday papers were twice as big and twice as heavy as weekday ones.

And after that, church parade if you were a Boy Scout, and then the dreaded Sunday school, I hated Sunday school, the same teacher as we had at normal school, and she was no less strict, that’s putting it politely,

Mike

I thought I had better add a more cheerful note, they weren’t all bad

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 21 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Remember when...

No, it wasn't like that in my family.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 21 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Remember when...

No, it wasn't like that in my family.

Do share Erato  ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 21 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I remember when you could identify a brand of car by the hubcaps, and traffic moved slowly enough for a toddler to be able to recognise them.  ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 February 21 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Day of rest, unless you were a paper boy   ;D ;D,   Sunday papers were twice as big and twice as heavy as weekday ones.

And after that, church parade if you were a Boy Scout, and then the dreaded Sunday school, I hated Sunday school, the same teacher as we had at normal school, and she was no less strict, that’s putting it politely,

Mike

I thought I had better add a more cheerful note, they weren’t all bad

My Sunday paper round in the early Sixties paid well - I sold at the door rather than just deliver. I remember when the Sunday Times introduced their colour supplement - really added to the load.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 February 21 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes...Sunday School Mike , I forgot that punishment  ::)  ;D
Carol

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 February 21 18:44 GMT (UK) »

Everyone had a Sunday roast: Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and two veg. Shop didn't open with the exception of small corner shops who had set opening times for Sunday trading.

Carol

Depended on the meat, it would be cooking, in the aga, (if Winter, then oven Summer) while we went to Church, the Minister the sent us out for Sunday School.
Back home and just the vegies to go in.  Usually ate about 12ish. 

Back then a weekend, was just that, it was a weekend!  No shops opened at all, until years later when 7 days a week shopping came in.

Had to make sure you had enough cash on hand, for emergencies etc on the Friday.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 February 21 18:47 GMT (UK) »
We always went for a walk as a family on a Sunday afternoon. Them back home for cold meat and salad for tea. Bath night before school the next day. Often the evening was spent playing Canasta or Monopoly. Not much TV watching. We made our own entertainment.
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk